Puking coolant, Blackstone says not burning it - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 08:51 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Puking coolant, Blackstone says not burning it

Hey guys, I had this issue before with my SRL tune. Every time I take it out and romp on it my degas bottle pukes a bunch of coolant out. Now when I run the 8K tow tune, towing around 10K worth of stuff, driving up and down long steep grades for 16 hours straight.....nothing, no puking or anything. Now I have had this issue for a while whenever I load up Matts SRL, but 8K tow is my daily driver most of the time with no coolant loss at all. Got the updated Bottle cap, and go my Blackstone report saying I have "0!!" coolant in my oil. Now with my experience with other diesel engines, if you have a blown head gasket, you are going to burn coolant. I have absolutely no white smoke on startup after sitting overnight, and no white smoke when getting romped on. What else could this be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Do you have an EGR cooler?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:11 AM

yes i do, stock
Old 08-26-2011, 09:18 AM

Pull the EGR valve out and look inside the manifold for any wetness or goo. Do you know what your eot vs ect delta is? If your oil cooler is plugged up it will starve the EGR cooler for coolant and let it turn into a steam generator. The steam then vents into the degas tank and puking happens. The other fear I have is that the tune that causes the puking is running a lot of extra injection timing and causing high enough cylinder pressures to lift the heads or expose a bad head gasket.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:22 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Do what the above poster said. Also pressure test your cooling system
Old 08-26-2011, 09:24 AM

Delta hasnt gone above 12 DEG F yet (Edge insight CTS), you make a valid point about the high HP tune lifting the heads and causing puking. Going to load the stock tune back up and drive that for a while. Im curious to know, I still have aftermarket warranty, I have CAT - ELC coolant, just wondering if driving around in stock tune for a bit, then take it in to get the truck checked out, will the stock tune burn up any of the "Tuned Spray" pattern you would see on the pistons? That way they cant really trace the hot tune, and if it is the head gaskets, when they pull the heads off they will see the spray and know I have been running tunes and deny me warranty.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Spray pattern is the least of your worries with custom tuning.

IM thinking EGR is your issue. But pressure test it anyway.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the help guys, im off to bed, spent the night swapping out an oil cooler on a CAT haul truck and am pooped. For now im going back to stock tune, and on days off gonna visit the Ford dealer and have them look at the EGR cooler. Cheers gents!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The heads aren't going to lift unless you are burning a fair amount of coolant. The TTY head bolts aren't as bad as people make out.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
The heads aren't going to lift unless you are burning a fair amount of coolant. The TTY head bolts aren't as bad as people make out.
My thinking was that if his head gaskets were marginal, maybe the extra cylinder pressure from the hot tune was able to expose them as a weak link. I shouldn't have used the language about lifting the heads. You are correct as usual unless the engine is making steam by burning a lot of coolant the heads won't " lift" Thanks for keeping me on track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.