Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Between a Rock and a Hard spot here !

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  macoyle 
#1 ·
Hate to even think about this ...but the Powerstroker may be getting replaced by a Durasmacker...:tard:
I still owe about 13k on my truck..its got 150k-miles and almost 7 years old...Been a hell of a truck untill the last few years ..even has original brake pads today...
BUT after new turbo,radiator,fan clutch ,oil cooler ,egr del... etc..etc..
after doing test on heads I now need head gaskets cause exhaust is heating up coolant where if I drive over 65mph fan locks in and de-gas vents like a freight train....if I put another 5k in this thing I will still owe close to $20k on a 7yr old truck
Looked at fords again but cannot deal with a $56K price tag for a truck like I need
Local Chevy dealer will take my truck in on trade and pay it off ( he don't know about heads )
and I can get a Loaded 2011 6.6 4dr HD3500 LTZ Dually for $44K sticker price

just don't see how to justify keeping my truck since it will cost me 1/2 what a new one is and still have no warranty :dunno:

I'm gonna get killed here but what would you guys do ?

See less See more
#2 ·
If you have a need for a dually get it. Seems like a no brainer to me IF the need is there.

#4 ·
Man I just love the FORD !!! I just can't aFORD the costs of the breakdowns...just seems every time I fix something... the next part in line goes out and I go farther in the hole ! I wanted to get this thing paid off and keep it but I got to keep refinacing and borrowing money against it to keep going....Credit Union will NOT loan me anymore on it to do the heads and i ain't got that kind of cash laying around to just do it ....
and new Ford prices are wayyy up there compared to others..my credit sucks so interest rate is going to be bad enough without getting the higher priced Ford ..just dumbfounded right now

#18 ·
I see your a fellow Texan... what part??

I would never own a Chevy buuuuut you gotta do what's best for ya.

If you do get rid of it, do you have a rear ranchhand bumper? What you going to do with all those lights on the frond ranch and?

#5 ·
Well if they won't loan u the money then sounds like your decision is made. U better trade it in ASAP and hopefully we don't see some guy get on here. Bought used truck from dealer and 2 weeks later needs head gaskets. Haha.

#9 ·
What the hell is wrong with a 6.4? :poke

#8 ·
I wouldn't take a Dmax if it was given to me. The only Pickup uglier than the Chevy is the Toyota. If it is costing you $5k for head gaskets I'd shop around. Do what you have to do man but there is no way I'd give up my 7 year old F250 for a new Chevy.

#11 ·
My Ex-wife's uncle owns a Ford Dealership .(BUT I found out I still owe $17K on my truck instead of 13k !!! ) ..I'm leaning on him real hard to swing me a deal , but the almost 10k price difference for basically similar equipped vehicles is killing any help he's trying to work out ...plus Chebby is offering more for my trade & incentives to offset what I still owe ....as you can see in my Sig. my truck is CLEAN and well taken care of ....most they ( ford ) has offered for trade is $9k
Chevy dealer who has seen my truck ( wife just bought a 2011 Malibu from them ) is offering me $12.5K plus $4500 in rebates & incentives to get me out from under this thing
But I will wait on the In-Laws awhile longer and see what they might be able to pull off

#12 ·
well you can either bite the bullet on a newer ford, or get caught in a p.o.s. chebby.... IMO I'd go Ford. More money, but MUCH better quality.

#13 ·
Have you look into a new dodge.They have a deal in my area,you get the cummins for free.It's a $9000 option.I did the build and price on thier web site,for a 3500 4x4 dually crew cab with some option like heated towmirrors and power windows and locks came out to about $43,000.I didn't go to the dealer because I still owe around $28,000 on mine.Might be worth looking into,it will save you from driving a chev.

#15 · (Edited)
NO DODGE !!
Their Outer skins are beer cans , a guy at work just bought one and put a dent in his fender just leaning against the damn thing..a couple other friends of mine use them for Oilfield hotshot services...Drivetrain holds up but bodies are about to fall off and have cracks in beds ..
Chevy is at 44k minus a few rebates they can give to get down to about 38/39k
Lowest I could get Ford down to so far is 46k
gonna keep looking around.....hate to buy new but my boss is even looking at an '08 with 50k miles ...dealer is asking $35k and change for it almost 4 years old !
the used are selling for almost new prices around here!
Look> 2012 Dodge 2wd. Cummins Basic WHITE PAINT Std.Trim ...only want an arm and your neck !
2012 Ram 3500 ST For Sale | San Antonio, Devine - Pleasanton TX |
$43K 2011's are only a couple thousand less if that !

#16 ·
Do the head studs on your own for under $700!

BTW, nice looking truck. I like the color/cab/bed combination ;)

#17 ·
I agree dodge doesn't really build a truck but they have the best diesel.Have you thought about doing a cummins swap,then you have the best of both worlds.That will be the route I'll most likely go if mine starts acting up.With what I owe,they won't even think of taking it as a trade and since I do have a 12valve cummins I could do it for around $2500.With the transmissions in our trucks we don't need to change them out.You can even order a kit for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.