FICM replacement options? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2011, 02:52 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM replacement options?

Looks like I've lost the FICM power supply on my 06 F350. Classic failure: hard start and rough running when cold for about four or five months, then CEL light came on - low injector voltage, then wouldn't start at all about a week later. Test shows only 12v output, not 48.

Going to pull it and look at the inside this weekend, may try the resolder thing, but for those of you who have been this route, what's a permanent solution? I'm mainly interested in longevity, as I hear resoldering the bad joints is only a temporary fix.

I've heard a rumor that Ford will sell just the power supply. Any truth to this? (they ought to give it away, seeing as how it was their flash that appears to have caused this problem)

Has BPD ever come out with their upgraded FICM? Saw the thread on the circuit board prototypes. If it's anything like their oil and EGR coolers, it should be good.

Have seen the Swamps 58v upgrade, but does that help it live longer? Doesn't seem like it would.

Any other options? The F350 has been parked for a couple of months, haven't had the time to get back to it, starting to get PS withdrawal symptoms...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 03:00 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just had the FICM on my 06 repaired at ASI. 1-866-983-6688. Found them on Ebay. 115 dollars. Great to deal with and they give a liftime warrenty. Truck runs much better now.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:11 AM
Premium Member

Yes.... your FICM is toast. So bad that I wouldn't be surprised if you have some bad injectors as well. You do have several options with the cheapest being the DIY. The Swamps option is probably the most popular as it beefs up the solder points increasing the longevity. They're also generally the quickest to get a new FICM out the door to you and will give you a $350 core credit when your old one gets to them. Keep in mind that if you decide to mess with your FICM and screw it up, they reduce the core value and you will end up paying more. I have the Swamps 58 volt and am extremely happy with it and their service... good folks.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:21 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
Going to pull it and look at the inside this weekend, may try the resolder thing, but for those of you who have been this route, what's a permanent solution? I'm mainly interested in longevity, as I hear resoldering the bad joints is only a temporary fix.
If you have small component soldering skills, give it whirl. Keep in mind that if you thought you had skills, but find out that you don't, the core charge you would get refunded is gone due to your attempted repair. Just something to keep in mind. The only real "permanent" fix is not on the market yet. The BPD FICM is still in BETA testing.
The place that has the best reputation for repairing the FICM is Swamps Diesel. They have a 48 and a 58 volt version. What makes them better than the ones on fleabay? Swamps REPLACES the parts that are weak with much better parts, while your fleabay fixers resolder the existing. HUGE difference.

Quote:
I've heard a rumor that Ford will sell just the power supply. Any truth to this? (they ought to give it away, seeing as how it was their flash that appears to have caused this problem)
It is called a "half shell" which is packed full of the very same parts that have failed you already.

Quote:
Has BPD ever come out with their upgraded FICM? Saw the thread on the circuit board prototypes. If it's anything like their oil and EGR coolers, it should be good.
Still in BETA testing. Just understand that BPD will not release their FICM until every bug is worked out of it. That takes alot of time and research (and cash).

Quote:
Have seen the Swamps 58v upgrade, but does that help it live longer? Doesn't seem like it would.
Their failure rate is extremely low on all of their FICMs.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:27 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
FICM Repair.com and talk to Ed Stefan. Repairs and upgrades for VERY resonable prices and great customer service.

Last edited by Evil Eye; 08-29-2011 at 10:49 AM. Reason: Remove non-sponsor link
Old 08-26-2011, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npccpartsman View Post
FICM Repair.com and talk to Ed Stefan. Repairs and upgrades for VERY resonable prices and great customer service.
+ 1 - highly recommend FICMrepair.com

Last edited by Evil Eye; 08-29-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I just finished the diy repair on mine.I am not skilled at soldering and it worked.Noticable improvement right when I started it and alot smoother running overall.I do have 2 bad injectors and they need the oil hot to clear up.I found the biggest pain was getting it out of the truck.I did wait for my blood pressure to return to normal before I started doing the soldering and then stopped for a couple of smoke breaks.Just take your time and be very calm and you'll be fine.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Premium Member

Go with swamps 58V. It starts so much better and you will be happy with it. A little more money for alot more later. I personally wont go with a rebuilt one.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
+ 1 - highly recommend FICMrepair.com
+2 Ed is the man. Extremely knowledgeable. Send him an email.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:30 AM

Thanks, guys. I'm pretty experienced at soldering electronics, even surface mount like the two resistors. Plan is to pull it today and take a look, but I think I'll do it right the first time and get it rebuilt with proper components. Didn't think $300-400 was worth it just for a resolder, but if they're actually replacing weak components as well, that's worth it. I will call swamps and FICMRepair on Monday and see what they have to say.

I'm not one to blame others just because I can, but darn it Ford - I shouldn't have to go to an outside company to fix a problem you created.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.