winter turbo issue.. want to fix before the snow flies!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
winter turbo issue.. want to fix before the snow flies!!

The problem is any time it gets below 0 degrees F my turbo seems to shut its self off. Any time you let off the throttle long enough to loose boost you darn near need to rug it to get it to spool then watch out cause your gonna be sideways!! A couple people told me it might need to be cleaned but it didn't help a guy i know (same issue).

I'm wondering if its a sensor somewhere since its only temp related???

If it was vanes sticking you would think it would do it when engine is cold in the summer because the turbo has to be warmer when up to temp driving down the road in winter vs summer time driving it when its not warmed up and only say 60 degrees.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by harlo; 08-24-2011 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

my 6.0 did that last winter i heard it was from gelled fuel but i didnt that was the problem since i had a $hit load of anti gel stuff in the fuel and this summer the turbo got replaced on three separate occasions the original turbo had alot of rust on exhaust hausing where it marries up to the center section
Old 08-25-2011, 05:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
i would for sure get the turbo cleaned and see if that fixes the issue. mine in the winter before i had it cleaned recently, when i started it, the turbo wouldnt kick in for a long time. then over the summer i started to notice vanes sticking. go the turbo cleaned at the end of winter so i will find out this winter if it fixed it.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks. I'll try to get it done before winter. I am just wondering if it is a sensor or something that controls the turbo since it's only temp related. And cleaning it didn't help a coworker who's truck does the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.