Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

What to do first??

561 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  2 stroker 
#1 ·
So I got my used '06 F350 a few weeks ago and have been spending quite a bit of time on here trying to learn as much as possible.

I really know nothing about the history of the vehicle except what I saw in the Oasis report. Looks like it was serviced at the dealership up until 100,000 or so. Nothing about any EGR or oil cooler problems in the report. (not sure if this is a good thing or bad thing).

The truck now has 146,000. I have no idea if the coolant has been changed from Ford Gold or not. It doesn't seem like I'm losing any coolant and haven't seen any purging from the bottle.

I guess my question is, should I first buy a monitoring system like the Edge Insight and see what my ECT to EOT delta is? If it's fine, should I have a flush and replace with a different coolant so I know what's in there and leave the Oil cooler and ERG cooler alone?

I don't have a bunch of extra cash and want to spend wisely and in the right order. I don't want to have to spend money on a Bulletproof system right now if I don't need to but don't want to waste on a monitoring system if I should just do the bulletproof thing...

Also, how much should a flush cost and who would you have do it? Sounds like it's a little more specialized process than just taking it to a radiator shop or random mechanic.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I guess my question is, should I first buy a monitoring system like the Edge Insight and see what my ECT to EOT delta is?
Yes, a monitor is the first step you should take. You can't know what to fix until you can see the health of your engine.

While an Insight is nice, a simple ScanGuage II Will suffice for this important first step. It will provide all the information you need to find out whats going on, and won't break the bank to do so. It's only $170

ScanGauge II Digital Data Monitor

#3 ·
No matter what a monitoring system should be the FIRST thing anyone does, imo. That is the only mod I have on my truck as of right now.

In short yes do the monitor first and see where you are at, go from there. You may not need to replace anything right off the bat but the gauges are a good indication of a problem.

I recommend the insight CTS - I love that thing and it monitors so much in one compact unit it keeps in the incab setup simple, which I love.

Good luck! Congrats on the new rig - mine is 7 weeks new to me as well.

Todd

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.