Maximum Safe Oil Temperature at idle with no load. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Maximum Safe Oil Temperature at idle with no load.

Quick Question for the board:

Assuming Coolant temperature/boiling is not an issue, what is the maximum safe EOT for our engine? Assume it's just sitting there at idle speed, getting hot. No extreme load, no turbo spool no high rpm's. Just sitting there, in a driveway, idling, with the radiator fan unplugged so as to intentionally allow it to heat up.

The reason I'm asking, is I'm trying to get as much water out of my coolant system (waterless) as possible before this trip I'm going on. The Coolant doesn't boil until 370 degrees Fahrenheit, and in fact, the recommended way to get all the water out as soon as possible is to heat the engine up to about 280, and let it boil out. (see page 5 here if you don't believe me: http://www.hrpworld.com/client_image...ader/683_4.pdf) You may think that it is for RaceCar use only, as that is the main site, but that document specifically mentions powerstrokes. I don't think that 280 is a safe number at all, but getting my coolant up to 230 or 240 shouldn't be a problem. The only issue I see, is it will also get the EOT up to about that hot.

Anyways, My ECT's don't hardly ever surpass 200-210 degrees under normal operation, so it will take a long time for the water to boil out on it's own it seems, and I want to get it out of there ASAP, for a few different reasons. Chances are that it's already pretty much all gone, I just want to be sure, but I don't want to run it at 230-240 degrees if there's any chance of it causing any problems.

So, summation: Assuming no load on the engine, idle speed, what is the maximum safe EOT that can be reached without any harm to the system if I am intentionally raising the engine temperature for another purpose.

Edit: I have read elsewhere that the engine begins to Defuel at about 250 degrees. I'm assuming then that that means that is the point at which Ford believes there is a problem. I have also read elsewhere that people have seen 240 degrees during legitimate towing operation, and had no problems. So perhaps keeping it around 240 would be okay for this exercise?

Last edited by Dicion; 08-24-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2011, 03:12 AM
information regurgitator

The engine defuels with an oil temp of 253F, and (damn..I am having a brain fart and can not recall the exact coolant temp..) but I know it is below the 235F mark.. Just sitting at an idle with the fan unplugged, I doubt you will see anywhere near those numbers.
I wouldn't let the truck sit at low idle very long anyway. Have you done the high-idle mod? It raises the idle speed to 1250 or so and is VERY easy to do on an '06.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:18 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I believe ECT is 235*, but I could be wrong.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:06 PM
Premium Member

Found this list:

Things that will shutdown your 6.0L (PC/ED manual):

Defuel at 221 *F ECT (coolant temperature): PC/ED manual - page 1-34
Defuel at 253 *F EOT (oil temperature): PC/ED manual - page 1-34
Defuel at 4000 rpm's : PC/ED manual - page 1-13
Defuel at 95 mph: PC/ED manual - page 1-15
Defuel at 28.6 psig boost (possibly also need to be at or above 75 mph also)
Defuel when the fuel level in the tank gets very low (well after the low fuel light comes on).
Old 08-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
wonder when the standpipe in the filter housing starts to melt
Old 08-25-2011, 06:38 PM
information regurgitator

I think I read somewhere where that it starts to melt somewhere around 300......

I am surprised that the coolant temp defuel point is the same as when the thermostat fully opens.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just towed my trailer this weekend and saw 223F on the coolant temp and 240 on the oil temp. Didn't notice any defueling. Was concerned about oil temp until I read here about the de-fuel point being at 253 for the oil.
Old 07-16-2014, 02:52 PM

I think the waterless coolant and the directions to ring the engine temp to 280 are a terrible ideas
Old 07-16-2014, 03:43 PM

I have read dieselsites instructions on using Evans and there method seems a lot easier than trying to get your engine up to 280.

I have considered using Evans but at the moment sticking with ELC until I change the oil cooler. Running straight Propylene Glycol as a coolant is nothing new in other applications especially where water is a no no. Plus it is not toxic like Ethylene Glycol is.

ANyway I am not pushing the use of it as it is a personal choice but take a look at diesels sites method..pretty straight forward.

One thing though is that I am not aware of anyway to increase the running temp of the 6.0l as they mention to increase mileage.....don't think I have ever seen much higher of a thermostat...?

Last edited by shughey00; 07-16-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:15 PM
Premium Member

Wouldnt it be easier to pull the drains out of the block ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.