Got oasis results Good or Bad? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2011, 05:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Got oasis results Good or Bad?

Lookin at a 05 crew Seems that many repairs have been done to the truck with the major being new head gaskets and egr replacements in aug of 08. Also had new turbo in 06 i believe. This truck only has 80k on it and seems to be in decent shape. All other hits on the report seem to be minor programing and steering issues. Is this truck worth the time or should I just forget it? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2011, 05:44 PM
The Silent Service

Depends on who did the work on the head gaskets, which gaskets were used, and what else was done when the motor was torn apart. With HG's on the Oasis, I'd be asking to see documents of the work performed. No papers, and I'd walk away. There's plenty of ways a HG job can come back and haunt you if it wasn't done right.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:50 PM

these repairs were all done under warranty through the dealership.

Tech Comments: INLINE PRESS TEST DEGAS BOTTLE AND CAP, OK, VAC WONT HOLD, REMOVE EGR COOLER, BENCH TEST, BUBBLES, TEST OIL COOLER, NO MOVEMENT ON GUAGE, NO RESTRICTION, REPLACE EGR COOLER, OIL COOLER OK, 20 PSI ON HARD ACCEL, HEAD GASKET FAILURE, REMOVE HEADS AND CLEAN, MEASURE, REPLACE HEAD GASKETS ANS REASSY ENGINE, RECAL PCM WITH LATEST, CHANGE OIL AND FILTER, TURBO BOOST TEST PASS
Old 08-23-2011, 06:02 PM
The Silent Service

Done under warranty through the dealership, you're sitting at 50/50.

"20 PSI ON HARD ACCEL" not sure it that is coolant pressure, or turbo pressure. Most likely coolant, which is close to what I had when my gaskets went.

There is Zero chance the oil cooler was ok. Absolute 0%. The oil cooler is the reason the EGR cooler fails on these trucks. If the oil cooler wasn't rebuilt at a minimum, it must have been replaced by now (still see about documented rebuild/replacement of the oil cooler).

Most of the time, the dealerships flush the coolant when they do these jobs. See if you have a record if the flush was done before or after the engine was reassembled. Failure to flush the coolant before rebuilding the oil cooler will result in clogging the fresh oil cooler. Perhaps not to the point of failure, but you'll be on your way there.

With it being from the dealership, you know with some confidence that OEM gaskets were used. The aftermarket Onyx's are proveing a higher failure rate. The heads are listed as measured, but not machined or pressure tested (typical of the dealership doing the work). The heads really need to be taken to a machine shop when this type of work is done. You most likely still have a fuctioning EGR cooler.

Big thing you need to go out and look at is this, did they use OEM head bolts or ARP head studs when they reassembled the engine. If it ain't studded, I'd walk away.

It does sound like the standard dealership job for headgaskets, see if you can come up with anything else for documentation for the work. Last thing I recommend, get the Edge Insight CS/CTS before you go look at it again if you can. The numbers won't lie about weather that oil cooler is a ticking clock, waiting to fail on you.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:21 PM
information regurgitator

Keep in mind that it is standard procedure to flush the cooling system using their VC-9 product AFTER replacing the oil cooler.
What strikes me as strange is that they say the tested the oil cooler for restriction?? How the heck did they pull that off? The TSB for head gasket failure plainly states that the oil cooler must be replaced along with the EGR cooler. (google ford tsb for coolant loss, right around step 6 or so).

Last edited by NYC F-350; 08-23-2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:12 AM

Thanks for all the info guys. This truck is at auction and I am gonna pass on it. I know that it can be bought for a decent price but I really dont think I want to gamble with this gonna be my daily driver. I will move on to the next one.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Depending on how good of a deal you get with the money saved you can bulletproof it with studs, egr delete, and new oil cooler?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.