Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

cat ec-1 coolant premixed

6K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  NYC F-350 
#1 ·
Is it ok to use the cat brand elc that is premixed. It's all the cat dealer in town has in stock. They said it was mixed with distilled water but I don't know if they have a clue. The kenworth dealer in town also said they only use the premix and its all they stock. I know this is really important. Is it safe to use the premixed?

#2 ·
IF you use pre-mix after a flush with the water that remains in the block (That you cant get out) you will have less than a 50/50 mix. I would try to find concentrate. My local NAPA carries the Zerex ZXED1 (Concentrate). Maybe the could order it.

Steve

#3 ·
The local cat dealer said they can get the concentrate, but all they had on the shelf was premix. For me it was ok as the guy that did my heads and oil cooler drained/vacuumed all the water out and installed the premix. I just bought a gallon to have for top off.

#5 ·
The block retains very close to 50% of the total cooling system capacity, even if you use both of the drain plugs. Using premix only will net you 25% concentration.
You definitely need the concentrate.

#6 ·
I had the same problem, all my Cat dealer could get was the 50/50 too. Then I did like 4x4ff said and just got Zerex at Napa. Works just fine.

#8 ·
dang, i used the premix, i didnt realize so much was left in block, i did pull the eng block plugs...... guess is should get some concentrate... im never in freezing temps living in Vegas, is there any downside in cooling effect having less then 50/50? i have always heard nothing beats just water for cooling....?

#11 ·
The whole 50/50 mix thing is to get the best possible protection under all circumstances, which includes hindering the formation of rust in your block.
Drain and refill with concentrate.
The redish brown crap you see in plugged up oil coolers is rust scale.

#10 ·
I'm really suprised y'all's CAT dealers don't have ELC concentrate on-hand.... mine had 40 gallons. lmao

#15 ·
Note the EC-1 Spec. That is what is important, not that it is actual Cat coolant. Delo is better than the Cat brand And the Rotella Ultra ELC is better than that.

Originally Posted by jetjock15
dang, i used the premix, i didnt realize so much was left in block, i did pull the eng block plugs...... guess is should get some concentrate... im never in freezing temps living in Vegas, is there any downside in cooling effect having less then 50/50? i have always heard nothing beats just water for cooling....?

You need the 50/50 to protect against corrosion and more importantly cavitation damage to the cylinder liners. You need to drain and refill with concentrate. For you I would go 60/40 for the increased boil over protection pulling that 5th wheel around in the dessert.

#17 ·
pulled the engine plug, then added 3 gal of concentrate, not am i at the right ratio, or am I too concentrated? I did standard flush procedure, then refilled with 50/50... now i dumped the plug, and refilled with concentrate, took 3 gal... good or?

#18 ·
Im sure if you get it close youll be alright. I doubt its a right down to the percent type of thing. To be honest in my cat dozer I just use whatever I have lying around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.