Should I buy Diesel or should I just stick with a gasser? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I buy Diesel or should I just stick with a gasser?

I have been doing a lot of shopping around, reading, and have learned a lot I think about diesels. Now I am wondering if diesel is the right way to go.

First of all the truck will not be my primary vehicle, my truck spends about 90% of the time towing which is a plus for the diesel. I only get about 9mpg with my 08 chevy 1/2 ton.

On the other hand it will spend a lot of time in the barn just sitting which I have heard is bad for a diesel, especially the 6.0 which will most definitaly be what I will buy. Is this true and is there anything I can do to it while it's sitting to protect it?

I don't really want to buy a $20,000 truck and spend a bunch of money to "Bullet Proof it", but I am also not really planning on doing any mods. Although I have heard you can get great performance and economy while towing with a few tuner adjuestments.

I would like to buy a truck that will last 10+ years as well.

I love the smell, the power, and the whole diesel experience, I am not totally sure if its worth the added cost.

As I type this post I believe I am making a pretty good case for myself to go with the diesel. My concern is the fact that I don't have the time to do a bunch of work to a truck I just bought and the issue that it will spend a lot of time just sitting or going on short trips around town. Any input you have would be appritiated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Premium Member

What do you plan to tow?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

My boat is about 4000lbs and the snowmobile trailer fully loaded is less than that.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
My advice is stick with a gasser. You don't need a diesel and as you know they don't like to just sit around or just do short trips. They need to be worked regularly. Get a V10 F150 and call it a day.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

I hate to say it but check out the new F 150 with the Eco Boost V6 if your looking at a new truck. If used is ok you could find a smoken deal on a v10 or v8.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I really want the size and room of an f-250 and I've heard bad things about the v-10, is the 5.4 enough motor?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I say buy an older 7.3 and roll with it. It wont like sitting, but go letter run 20-30 minutes a week (a couple bucks in fuel spent) and she'll be fine. You can pick up an OBS 7.3 for under $5k every day, all day. No reason to buy a finecky 6.oh unless you plan on making a commitment to it, and being an occasional hauler isn't much of a dedication.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
My advice is stick with a gasser. You don't need a diesel and as you know they don't like to just sit around or just do short trips. They need to be worked regularly. Get a V10 F150 and call it a day.
V10 one fiddy? say what?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Premium Member

V-10 is a real good motor it is better than the 5.4 for towing. Both motors are are very reliable as long as the spark plugs get removed and installed correctly.

Last edited by DesertSmoker; 08-22-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Cant spel
Old 08-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Would hauling 2 times a month be enough for a 6.0? I also thought about a 7.3 but I want something new enough that I can take off for a 500 mile trip and not have to worry about anything. Is there anything I need to watch for in a 7.3 with 100,000?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.