I'm looking to buy a programmer for my 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 09:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation I'm looking to buy a programmer for my 6.0

I'm looking for a lil help choosing a programmer I've been seeing alot of sct recommends but I was looking at the h&s mini maxx new to the site so pm me or please reply thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 10:08 PM
The Silent Service

Howdy and welcome to the ORG.

Just looked at the H&S website, I didn't know they made a tuner for the 6.0L.
It only mentions transmission tuning for the 6.4L Powerstroke, and 6.7L Cummins, not the 6.0L. Also, it appears to have 3 set power levels, and no real custom tuning from H&S.

Here's where most of the tuners fall short, no transmission tuning. The 5R110 is holding upto 500RWHP, as long as its tuned to support that type of powerband. Most of the tuners out there, H&S, Banks, Edge, etc. rely on the transmission relearn to adapt to the new power. These method is very hard on your transmission, and will break things if you change tunes often.

Do this once and get the right setup that has been proven by a number of drivers on the ORG. Get a ScangaugeII or Edge Insight CS/CTS to monitor your engine, with a miminum of the expandable EGT probe with the Edge. Monitor ECT/EOT and ensure your oil cooler is in good health, along with FICM voltage at start up and idle. The tuner you want is the SCT, because it is a direct plug to the OBII port, and you flash the truck. It does not have shift-on-the-fly capability, but it does tune the transmission. The stock files on the SF3 are ok, but to take full advantage of the tuning you need to run custom files.

Eric at Innovative Diesel, Matt at Gearhead Automotive, and Vivian at Quick Tricks, are the big 3 tuners I've seen here. I run tunes from Innovative, have haven't had an issue. For a non-studded truck, I would stick with the street level type tunes pushing 400RWHP. Make sure you tell the tuner the mods you've done to your truck when you email your trucks strategy to them. For studded, you're free to run anything.

Biggest reason I got the tuner was for fuel economy, with a stock hieght dually and 4.30 gears I see 13-15 mpg stock. On my street file its 14.5-16.5 mpg, and race is a little better than that when I can keep my foot out of it.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
I was ready to buy a Banks Six-gun when I found this site, and I'm sure glad I didn't.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I already replaced the oil cooler and egr delete kit I got a package deal with exhaust intake and programmer just not sure which one and I don't wanna damage my tranny I'm gna get studs wen I get time off of work I just want a programmer I can stick to the windshield and setup and monitor and be confident I won't damage my truck it's what pays the bills and can't afford to be in the shop
Old 08-21-2011, 11:09 PM
The Silent Service

The Edge Insight is the best monitor on the market, that lists everything the 6.0L owner needs to keep an eye on. I think the CS is big enough, and some say even the CTS is too small. (The CTS is the larger display, and is touch screen) All of it depends on perferences.

Be careful with which intake system you put in. That stock filter is proven to 500HP, and you won't find better on the market when it comes to actually filtering. Its your work truck you cant afford to have lay down, keep the stock air filter protecting that motor.

Another thing I'd recommend, a simple coolant filter system. Helps get that casting sand out of your block, and a good piece of mind upgrade for the price.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Are you talking about the edge evolution cts 85200 and thanks for all the info by the way first ford diesel well diesel period I got 05 f250 love the 6.0 as long as it out runs tem dirtymaxes
Old 08-21-2011, 11:33 PM
The Silent Service

No, I would not go with any of Edge's Performance tuning. I'm just referring to the Edge Insight Monitor systems. You have to get the CS/CTS ones however, as Edge is no longer supporting and updating the earlier mono-chrome displays.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:37 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Sorry I'm new to all this you got a product number or list of things you recommend new to this whole seen that's why I haven't bought just yet if seen alot of edge insight but haven't seen it nowhere
Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 PM
The Silent Service

Here's the Edge Insight information from their website for clearification:

CS: Edge Products| Product
CTS: Edge Products| Product

Has the part numbers and most of the information.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How much was it to get your tunes and insight
Old 08-22-2011, 03:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have an H&S Mini Maxx. So far I like it. It has decent reporting and tuning options, and everything can be done on the fly.

However, As far as I can tell, the SCT has more options, and there are no 'Custom Tunes' for the Mini Maxx like there are for the SCT.

I'm going on a long trip, and we'll see how the Mini Maxx performs. If I don't like it, I may just get a SCT myself. We'll see
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.