What does the STOCK EGR cooler look like in a 2006? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What does the STOCK EGR cooler look like in a 2006?

Mine looks square with a blue hose. I know it was replaced at 30k under warranty, but was wondering if the new one they put on was stock. Does Ford use a blue hose on them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2011, 01:10 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If it was replaced by a ford dealer, under warranty, yes it is stock. There is no official factory 'Upgrade' to the EGR cooler, they just put another of the same one on. The Square body means it is the later version, as the earlier one, used in '03 only IIRC, was round. In Ford's defense, the problem isn't the cooler itself, it holds pressure just fine at it's designated operating temperatures and pressures. It merely is one part that suffers due to a much larger problem. Fix the larger problem (Coolant Silicates clogging the oil cooler), and the Stock EGR Cooler works perfectly fine, and will not fail under normal usage.

I hope they flushed your coolant system and replaced your oil cooler (in that order) when they replaced the EGR, if not, they'll be doing it again quite shortly.

If you want to upgrade it, you can either delete it in some way, or replace it with a BulletProof Diesel EGR Cooler, which is specifically re manufactured to hold MUCH higher pressures without problems.
There are a few different ways of deleting the EGR cooler. Mine was done via welding the scoop in the up pipe closed.

The solution to the overall problem, is to change to a coolant that doesn't gunk up the oil cooler.

Last edited by Dicion; 08-21-2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Well, the OASIS does say that it was also flushed, but it does not say in which order, so here's to hoping it was done in the correct order.

They emissions test here hardcore. So I'm going to keep it. I am going to install the coolant bypass filter next weekend along with my oil bypass, so hopefully that will help long-term.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:47 PM
information regurgitator

The blue hose actually replaced an orange hose, that was known to leak. So, yes, blue is the correct hose and the EGR cooler is square.
Bulletproof diesel (in your state) sells the BEST EGR cooler for your engine.
Old 08-21-2011, 01:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The best solution for your situation then, IMO, for emissions testing, is a Bulletproof Cooler + a Custom tune to disable the EGR Valve from opening under normal driving circumstances.

That way, the valve just about never opens to feed exhaust back into the intake when you're normally driving. It can be forced open under high stress, but even then, its not flowing as much as when it's commanded open. When it's time for testing, just remove the tune, go back to stock, take it in, let em test, and put it back when done. Viola! 95% of the benefits of an EGR Delete, without the actual delete.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
I hope they flushed your coolant system and replaced your oil cooler (in that order) when they replaced the EGR, if not, they'll be doing it again quite shortly.
Well, I watched my coolant temp and oil temp all day today. Some city driving, some freeway driving and even some towing. I wrote down all the numbers in each area. They are in the truck, but typically oil and coolant were either the same or within about 4* of each other all day long. When I was towing, they may have become 6* to 8* off, but no more than that and not for long periods of time.

So hopefully good for a little while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.