Coolant Filter Cut Open - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-20-2011, 09:37 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 196
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Coolant Filter Cut Open

Well, after doing several flushes with the restore and restore + I think my system was pretty well purged of the old Ford Gold.

I installed the Diesel site coolant filtration kit and changed my first Baldwin filter after 601 miles. I was pleased not to see alot of silicate drop out from the old gold, but holy cow it looked like I took the truck to the beach and poured buckets of sand into the motor.

Here's a couple of photo's that shows the sand at the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket when I drained the Ford Gold the first time prior to flusing. The 2nd photo shows the incredible amount of sand in the Baldwin filter.

Just a quick thank you to everyone here that wrote up the awesome instructions for step by step flushing procedures for the motor. My ETC's have leveled out to within 5 degrees of my EOT in town driving and 8 degrees interstate & loaded.



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-20-2011, 09:51 AM
information regurgitator
 

Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 5,683
Thanks: 14
Thanked 163 Times in 152 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The second pic actually looks like rust scale.
See if any of it will stick to a magnet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 08-20-2011, 09:55 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 196
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
The second pic actually looks like rust scale.
See if any of it will stick to a magnet.
I was thinking the same too. I did run a magnet through with just a little bit picked up. I cut the filter lining too and was glad not to see any goo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 08-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: 34'.6264 -98.4192
Posts: 20,704
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Never ceases to amaze me how much stuff these pick up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 08-20-2011, 03:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ludlow MA
Posts: 916
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Rønning View Post
Never ceases to amaze me how much stuff these pick up.
i wasnt expecting that much out of my filter, but for $120 from diesel site after i spent a grand on a oil cooler and EGR delete i figured what the hell, thats about equal to a weekend of beer, after i cut my first one open with 500 miles it was very similar to the OPs and I was sold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 08-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 196
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I'm convinced after seeing my filter and others with this much debris floating around, some sort of filtration is needed for longevity. I'm curious as to why Ford didn't put the coolant filter on the Powerstroke, but the International VT365 has one. Maybe just a way to save money at the expense of the new owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 08-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic
 

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 126
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by buc1096 View Post
Well, after doing several flushes with the restore and restore + I think my system was pretty well purged of the old Ford Gold.

I installed the Diesel site coolant filtration kit and changed my first Baldwin filter after 601 miles. I was pleased not to see alot of silicate drop out from the old gold, but holy cow it looked like I took the truck to the beach and poured buckets of sand into the motor.

Here's a couple of photo's that shows the sand at the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket when I drained the Ford Gold the first time prior to flusing. The 2nd photo shows the incredible amount of sand in the Baldwin filter.

Just a quick thank you to everyone here that wrote up the awesome instructions for step by step flushing procedures for the motor. My ETC's have leveled out to within 5 degrees of my EOT in town driving and 8 degrees interstate & loaded.



What were your deltas before the flush? City/hwy? My new oil cooler is going on 2 months old or so and I'm seeing about 10* city and up to 20* hwy deltas with a coolant filter installed 100 miles after new oil cooler installed. I need to try a back flush while its still some what new but I haven't had the time.



Sent from mobile using autoguide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 08-20-2011, 03:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: ludlow MA
Posts: 916
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232


left is what was in the oil cooler, seems allmost like clay, right is what was on the actual filter part of the CF (on two of the slats)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors