Out on the road with turbo problems, Advice? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 06:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Out on the road with turbo problems, Advice?

We are about 200 miles from home and have gone through 2 mountian passes at around 19k pounds combined. The truck overboosted 3 times on the way here. Had to pull over and reset the codes to get the power back every time. Getting both overboost and turbo underboost codes.

There has to be some sort of problem with the turbo vanes? I can't even put about two thirds throttle in it or it gets pissed off. The truck is stock and I would think I should be able to just floor it and let the computer handle it's self.

Truck runs fine unloaded.

Some questions, I have the Ford ESP warranty that says it covers the turbocharger. Before I take it in could it be anything else obvious? EGR system? No codes for that though.

The other problem I face is the warranty has never been used and I don't want to use it unless it is for something big otherwise I am gonna cancel the warranty in the next year or so and apply the balance to principle on the loan.

That being said I don't want to go in and have them ding my warranty for a cheesy turbo clean up and fix the problem. I could do that myself.

I would sacrifice the warranty for a full turbo replacement though as I don't currently have a thousand bucks laying around for a turbo out of pocket if the turbo really is bad.

Sorry to make this so long, just have a lot of crap spinning around in my head lol.

I am confident I can get the truck home safely now that I know what to expect. No signs of any kind of damage at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Premium Member

From what I understand, Ford doesn't do turbo cleanings, they just replace them.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:45 AM

That's good to know. I hope to find out more on Monday or Tuesday.

I just wanted to ask you guys if it could be anything else so I have more ammunition.

Weird thing is, it only happens when pulling long grades at a steady amount of heavy throttle. I have also noticed that before this happens it will seem as if the truck is down on power, so you put a little more throttle in and then the wrench comes on the dash and cuts all the power. If I have the trailer on and just hammer it up a freeway on ramp it makes gobs of power and gives no troubles. I am actually quite impressed at the stock power levels when it works.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:03 AM

verify that the MAP sensor hose and th EBP tube are clear (not plugged up, and also are not leaking).

Last edited by bismic; 08-20-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post

Some questions, I have the Ford ESP warranty that says it covers the turbocharger. Before I take it in could it be anything else obvious? EGR system? No codes for that though.

The other problem I face is the warranty has never been used and I don't want to use it unless it is for something big otherwise I am gonna cancel the warranty in the next year or so and apply the balance to principle on the loan.

That being said I don't want to go in and have them ding my warranty for a cheesy turbo clean up and fix the problem. I could do that myself.

I would sacrifice the warranty for a full turbo replacement though as I don't currently have a thousand bucks laying around for a turbo out of pocket if the turbo really is bad.

Sorry to make this so long, just have a lot of crap spinning around in my head lol.

I am confident I can get the truck home safely now that I know what to expect. No signs of any kind of damage at this point.
I don't know what level warranty you have but I also have the Ford ESP on my 04 with 118k miles and I think you might be confused about how the warranty works or I am just reading your post wrong.

You said you wouldn't want to waste your warranty on the turbo when you can just clean it your self. The warranty is not a 1 time use, I've had my truck in the shop 3 times under the ford ESP warranty and all you pay is the $100 deductable no matter if they do $8k of work or replace a $10 sensor your bill will be $100. I've had my turbo replaced 2 times under ESP warranty.

Sent from mobile using autoguide.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:40 PM

I may not have typed that out well lol. That is not what I meant.

If you never use the warranty then you can cancel it at anytime. Once you put a claim against it, you keep paying for it and cannot opt out of it.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:36 AM

DTS Articles - Turbocharger Reconditioning

Found that link thismorning searching about.

Looks like a possible option for fixing this thing.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:42 PM

Update.

Turbo replaced with latest version with upgraded housing.

ESP extended warranty just paid for itself.

All problems verified before disassembly. Vanes were stuck. They split the turbo and found extremely worn unison ring and heavy pitting. They were gonna replace the turbo anyways but they wanted to go in and see the carnage.

Checked EBP sensor tube and function, checked map tubing and sensor, and cleaned intake manifold.

Total bill 1600 dollars. 100 dollar deductable.

Can't wait to tow with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.