Best Alternator ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 03:56 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best Alternator ?

I need to replace my alternator due to intermittent battery light/intermittent charging. Ive carried my multimeter with me and have been able to test it when it comes on. Light is doing its job, on equals no charge. I have replaced both batteries since this first started.

After alot of reading I know I want to buy a brand new alternator (not reman). But I was wondering if any body had some advice on brand, where to buy, and power ratings.

I have a full radio system, cb radio, & some extra lights (line of fire) thats about it as far as A/M electrical. So should I up the power rating? if so what rating? Also I have red top optima's in the truck now

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011, 05:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Just curious, but I have had the same thing happen to me a couple of times over the last few months. But when I pop the hood, and move the small red wire on the back of the alternator it goes back and starts working like normal, so I was thinking a short in either that wire or the connector. Did you find anything like this?
Old 08-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Serving Our Country!

I dont think thats my problem. The other day it did it when i just started in the driveway. I checked voltage (not charging) got back in the truck light was off. Checked again and it was charging so the truck didnt move at all and it was doing it so I wouldnt think its a short but ill check it out
Old 08-19-2011, 06:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

dcpowerinc.com....not very cheap. But you said the best! lol
Old 08-19-2011, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

PowerBastards.com, have 2 of theirs, 220A, all new materials, both have been working out well for me. Best of luck on your replacements.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:03 AM
Serving Our Country!

Thanks for the help guys. I ended up getting a brand new 135amp from Napa and I installed it last sunday with my EGR delete. No battery light now so hopefully all is well.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Not to seem like an a-hole, but why even bother starting a thread asking what's "The BEST alternator" if you just go to your local NAPA and pick up a regular ordinary off the shelf alternator? I personally think you should have gone with a much higher amp alternator.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:08 AM
Serving Our Country!

Sorry for naming the thread Best. But if you read my first post I stated "looking for recommendations on brands, etc". I wanted to get a higher power rating but to be honest I didnt plan on doing my EGR delete last weekend so I wanted to have a new alternator at the same time while I had the truck apart and for that the napa alternator was convenient and comes with a lifetime warranty.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:13 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Yeah, no worries. We've all done that to get something done since they had it in stock and you could get it right away. When mine goes, I'm going with the DC Power setup from Raul.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:16 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Yeah, no worries. We've all done that to get something done since they had it in stock and you could get it right away. When mine goes, I'm going with the DC Power setup from Raul.
Thanks!

I was gonna get the power bastards alt. but like I said, I ran out of time and had to get one. So now I am more informed and next time I can make sure to get the "best" parts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.