Started upgrading my 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Started upgrading my 6.0

My first upgrades have started coming in for my 2006 F350 that I bought a couple weeks ago. The truck has about 46,000 miles, and has a clean OASIS report. I did my first service this week with synthetic oil and changed both fuel filters. I installed a Sinister Coolant filter this week and guages for monitoring my EOT and ECT. My EGR delete came in, now I'm waiting for my SCT programmer. From monitoring my temps for a few days the delta is normally around 6-8. Highest delta i've seen is EOT 197 and ECT 186. But normally it's about 194 and 187. SOOOO it seems like the temps are pretty good right now. I'm trying to decide weather to monitor the temps for a while and see what kind of stuff shows up in the coolant filter, or do the EGR delete right off. My only worry is that the coolant flush will plug up the Oil cooler, which would suck because it seems to be working right now..AND I don't want to take it apart twice if I can avoid it. I'm considered doing the flush and switch to ELC right now, then monitoring the temps for a few months to make sure they don't get any worse. I'm sure some of you have been in the same situation..just trying to get some opinions or if you've made these changes what did you have for an outcome? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 11:16 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like you have everything under control.

I would look into replacing your T-stat though. Your coolant should be at around 190.

Also since your filtering your coolant, its probably safe to keep the gold coolant in for now. (although some feel that the gold should come out asap)
Old 08-19-2011, 04:16 AM
information regurgitator

I would drain the cooling system, flush it using only distilled water until it comes out clear (no chemicals). Then refill the system with the Zerex G-05 (or Ford Gold, same thing). The real problem with the ford gold crap is that nobody properly maintains the nitrite additive in the coolant. It requires frequent monitoring to keep it at the proper level. Ford (of course) sells the additive.

As soon as you get done filling it back up with new coolant, drive it to the Ford Dealership and ask them to check your nitrite level. Do not assume that since you have new coolant that the nitrite level is sufficient. It can, and does, come low right out of the bottle. Then, depending on how you use your truck, have them check the level every 6 months. If you tow heavy, have it checked every 3 months.

When (not if) your oil cooler is plugged enough to get to the 15F delta, then you do the chemical flushes and make the switch to the CAT EC-1 rated ELC. Even the ELC is not "maintenance free." It is supposed to be a "million mile" coolant. I wouldn't push my luck. Change this coolant every two years as well.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:06 AM
Premium Member

If your worried about plugging up the oil cooler, perhaps back-flushing it (and heater/radiator) before and after the chemical flush would keep the new particles that were knocked loose out of it.

Ford Powerstroke 6.0L Turbo Diesel Cooling System Overview and Flush

And change that thermostat first, then re-check your delta...It might be better than you think (or worse) once the coolant is at the proper temp.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:58 PM

Yeah i thought the coolant temp was a little low. Do you guys recommend an OEM T-Stat?

Last edited by novemberdelta; 08-20-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:53 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Yeah go with an OEM for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.