Help me diagnose this. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help me diagnose this.

So, progressively for the past 1000 miles, I have been getting a cold miss in the morning when I start the truck and the starts are not crisp. They are getting longer and the engine seems to struggle to start, but always starts. At first, I noticed that it would go away at 120* but now it stays till the truck gets to 180* I have no codes for contribution fails or injector fails. My FICM consistantly stays at 49v (KOEO, while starting and running) and Im not getting hardly any smoke to indicate anything obvious.
I changed the oil cause it was time, hoping that it would fix the problem but did nothing for it. I have always run 5-40 Valvoline Blue Ex since I got it 35k miles ago. I have the blue spring in the FPR and I changed the fuel filters 10k ago.

Just wondering if this is suspect of an injector about to poop the bed or just stiction.
What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011, 05:04 AM
information regurgitator

I would give the Rev-x a shot. It is alot cheaper than an injector, if it works.
If that doesn't work it is probably an injector.
You would have to get the truck on a scanner at a dealership where they would monitor the contribution on each cylinder to figure out which one is dying/dead.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I second the Rev-X. It is great stuff for injector stiction.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I've been thinking about getting the Rev-X but Im just worried it's a bandaid and when it starts getting cold that I won't get this truck to start.

I really like this truck but Im thinking Im done with it. EGR cooler, Oil cooler, Turbo, starter and now injectors? And to think, I have head gaskets to look forward to and all the stuff Ive already replaced, I'll have to replace again in 75k miles? I think Im better off just getting something else. I just can't afford putting $2000 bucks in this thing ever couple months. This is my grumpy face.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:46 AM
information regurgitator

Rev-x has been shown time and time again help injector stiction.
If you have ever been inside any engine and saw the brown film on internal parts, that is what is causing the stiction. That film is on the injector plunger, making the plunger stick. As the truck warms up this film will "melt" (for lack of better description) and the injector will run normally. The Rev-x is used to clean that film off/make the film "slippery" allowing the injector to function as designed. A "band-aid" approach? Maybe, but my opinion is that if it works, why not?
Old 08-20-2011, 07:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Rev-x worked/works on my truck. Another positive for stiction is I'm also running the newest flash on my FICM which helps as well. Better than injectors.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Rev-x has been shown time and time again help injector stiction.
If you have ever been inside any engine and saw the brown film on internal parts, that is what is causing the stiction. That film is on the injector plunger, making the plunger stick. As the truck warms up this film will "melt" (for lack of better description) and the injector will run normally. The Rev-x is used to clean that film off/make the film "slippery" allowing the injector to function as designed. A "band-aid" approach? Maybe, but my opinion is that if it works, why not?
Not to "knock" Rev-X, although IMO it's just another oil additive, fix all, grow new metal to worn parts etc... But

The injector plunger doesn't operate in lube oil hence doesn't develop the "film" you referenced hence the Rev_X doesn't clean it and isn't the cause of stiction in the HEUI's.

The stiction that creates the miss(lack of cylinder contribution) is with the shuttle(or spool) valve. The shuttle is the little metal rod that the coils draw to and fro(via the 48v pulses). The stiction(lack of smooth movement back and forth) is because the spool valve wears itself to a super smooth polished state due to movement back and forth and when the oil is cold(colder) gets harder to move. Sorta like picking up a wet glass sitting on a smooth surface.

Rev-X and the others, thin the oil making it less "tacky/sticky" and lowers the oil shear rate lessening the effect that causes the stiction.

IH was purportedly starting to use injectors with modified spool valves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwide73 View Post
Rev-x worked/works on my truck. Another positive for stiction is I'm also running the newest flash on my FICM which helps as well. Better than injectors.
I'd second the software flash comment. One of or maybe the lastest version, operates each spool (one at a time so as to not fry the FICM as fast) to help loosen it up and make it move mo freely when you first turn the key on prior to firing up the engine.

Last edited by RatherBNtheWoods; 08-20-2011 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:03 AM
information regurgitator

Great information. Thanks for straightening me out on that. Now I know better.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the input, I think I will try the Rev X to see what it does for the ole girl. Im just discouraged because I just can't afford to keep throwing all this money into this thing. THanks again everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.