Round EGR Coolers - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Round EGR Coolers

I have read somewhere on here that the "round egr coolers'' are less prone of failure rate. I am looking into a full coolant flush and switch to ELC afterward with a new oil cooler (probably because the old cooler will get clogged). I am debating on if I would need to replace the EGR cooler with a Bullet Proof cooler as well. I have a 2003 6.0x
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 03:49 PM
information regurgitator

While the '03 "round" style is less apt to fail, would you want to have to dig it out if it does fail on you in a few short weeks? A month?
I don't think it really is worth trying to save a few bucks and then have it come back and bite you in the azz, especially since a failed egr cooler is what takes out head gaskets.
I say it isn't worth the gamble.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Premium Member

I will definately recommend replacing the EGR cooler while you have the truck apart! The round EGR coolers DO fail, just dont seem to be as common as the square style. The BPD egr cooler would be the way to go in my book.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Installing a new BPD EGR cooler when I have everything apart was my first thought, but I thought I read somewhere where the "round" cooler was the same design as the BPD cooler. Does anyone know what makes the round cooler different from the square (internally)? I have seen a few square coolers internally just not the round.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

The round 2003 specific EGR coolers utilize a tubular type design, very similar to the way the BPD units are constructed, while the factory late 2004 up style coolers utilize a "beehive" type construction which is much weaker, but supposedly more effective in exchanging heat at the expense of increasing the propensity for failure.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

When I was doing my oil cooler I asked a number of technicians both on-line and at dealerships about the round 2003 coolers. A number of the tech's had NEVER seen a 2003 failure, and the rest had seen less than 5. Can the 2003 EGR cooler fail, of course it can but it isn't a high failure point in 2003. That said, my truck has the original EGR cooler and a GOOD functional oil cooler and I expect no issues. As with anything else, do your homework and base your decision on what makes you most comfortable.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:01 AM
Premium Member

FWIW, I just bought my truck about 2 weeks ago (round EGR cooler). It has a 34-37*F delta and there are no signs of EGR failure at this time. (fixing it this weekend) It can take a beating.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's good to hear that the round coolers can take such a beating, but I think it might be in my best interest to replace with a BPD cooler once I have everything apart because if the EGR cooler ever fails it might be to late to avoid HG issues. At least with an oil cooler there are signs when its starting to fail.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:43 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Bulletproof makes excellent products and it would certainly give more piece of mind.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
the piece of mind is worth it. only saw one 03 cooler leak and it leaked for no reason other than it was old. not oil cooler related
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.