Improve Fuel Mileage? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 08:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Improve Fuel Mileage?

Hello all, Iím new here & recently bought a 2006 F-350 4x4 DRW Crew Cab Lariat 6.0L V-8 Diesel with a 4.3 ratio limited slip axle to pull a 37í fifth wheel camper. As you can guess the fuel mileage is less than desirable. Iím currently looking to purchase a Quadzilla M3 Ford MAX Mileage Module but canít find much info if it has a good track record. Does anyone have any experience with this product or can offer some advice on how to improve the fuel mileage? As far as power goes I am well pleased with how easy the truck pulls the camper. Iíve had no problems pulling in the mountains. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2011, 08:56 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

First of welcome to the ORG! Everyone on here is going to tell you that SCT with custom tunes is the only way to tune your truck... and I agree. Before you do anything a good monitoring device or gauges is a requirement for the 6.0! The highest power tunes offer the best mileage, when driven sensibly. The biggest factor in mileage is your right foot! Hope that helps
Old 08-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If it's not done already straight pipe the exhaust. I saw a 2.5 mpg increase running stock program.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowcoach View Post
If it's not done already straight pipe the exhaust. I saw a 2.5 mpg increase running stock program.
The only way you saw anything like that was if your cat converter was totally clogged up. There is no significant mileage gain or power gain from an exhaust system upgrade.

D3YN3LL, the first thing you need to do is get a good monitoring solution like the Edge Insight CS or CTS so you can tell what your truck is doing. You don't want to be caught away from home with your 37 foot 5er and a broken truck that you could have avoided.

Then a SCT X3 with custom tuning is what you want for the 6.0. Forget any of the other tuners out there. You need custom tunes for the 6.0 or it will cost you things like transmissions.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:25 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3YN3LL View Post
Hello all, Iím new here & recently bought a 2006 F-350 4x4 DRW Crew Cab Lariat 6.0L V-8 Diesel with a 4.3 ratio limited slip axle to pull a 37í fifth wheel camper. As you can guess the fuel mileage is less than desirable. Iím currently looking to purchase a Quadzilla M3 Ford MAX Mileage Module but canít find much info if it has a good track record. Does anyone have any experience with this product or can offer some advice on how to improve the fuel mileage? As far as power goes I am well pleased with how easy the truck pulls the camper. Iíve had no problems pulling in the mountains. Thanks
I have the '07 version of that truck basically, though I have yet to put that kinda load behind it. The first thing I did was a set of gauges, which in hindsight all you really need is an Edge Insight CS/CTS to keep an eye on everything, get the expandable Pryo and Fuel Pressure sensors if you can manage it. That is the easiest way to prevent little issues from costing a fortune in the long run.

For tunes, The SCT tuner is the only way to go. I ran IDP's street and X-Race with a factory exhaust (including CAT) and didn't have an issue with EGT's climbing to bad at all. The tow files on the SCT are remarkable, it will firm up the shifts and take full advantage of the engine braking of the VGT.

I like the 4.30's at stock height, never had an issue in the steep grades, and don't have an issue getting up to speed on the interstate.

For comparison, Stock - 10-12 City, 13.5 combined, and 15 mpg Interstate.
Tuned - Tow, I've managed the do .5-1mpg better than stock emtpy with a 7K load.
Street - 11-13 city, 14.6 combined, and 16+ mpg Interstate.
X-Race - 11-14 city, 15.3 combined, and 16.5 + mpg Interstate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.