Just bought one... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2011, 09:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just bought one...

Hello all- I bought a 2005 F-250 CC FX4 a couple of weeks ago. 84,000 miles on the 6.0/Auto and the carfax showed that it was serviced at the dealership up until 71,000 miles. That made me feel a little more comfortable about buying the truck. I had a 2003 F-450 work truck that was in the shop more than it was on the road with EGR, oil cooler and other problems. However, that being said, I got a really good deal on this truck and I'm hoping and praying that it'll be as good to me as all of my other Fords (except the F-450) have been through the years. I have a few questions though. Whats the issue that some have with a certain type of coolant? And how can I tell if my truck has an EGR delete already installed? I put a Superchips Cortex on a week ago- mainly to try to get the fuel mileage up. When I checked the DTC codes, it shows 2. PO403 and PO405. Does this mean the EGR has been turned off? What are a few things that you guys could reccomend doing asap to help ensure that this thing lives a long time? I'm loving the truck so far! Thanks in advance!! Sorry it was so long!

Preston

PS- I probably won't be staying with the Cortex. I know that the general consensus is that the custom tunes are the way to go and I may go that route. So far the truck only has a muffler delete and the programmer. I'm not looking to break any land speed records- but I do pull a lot on the farm and I haul a lot of my FFA kids ( I teach high school agriculture) so I'm mainly looking for fuel economy and towing. I will say this though, this thing will SCOOT with just the cortex performance tune...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The first thing should be aftermarket monitoring system like the Edge Insight CS/CTS or the ScangaugeII. Add in a fuel psi gauge and EGT gauge.

Read this link for info.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

I don't think the Cortex is capable of turning off the EGR. Either you have a gummed up EGR valve, or the EGR valve is unplugged electrically (not recommended), or you have a delete/welded EGR cooler.

You can look on the pass side of the motor, between the turbo and valve cover, under the intake manifold. There will be either a blue or orange short hose, this hose goes from the oil cooler to the EGR cooler. Follow the hose toward the back of the motor, it connects to a metal tube. If the metal tube does a complete U-turn and heads back toward the front of the motor, then it's a delete. If the metal tube stops at the U-turn, it's got the EGR cooler.

You will see the yellow "X", the first picture is a delete. The second picture is where the tube goes to the EGR cooler.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:06 AM

Thanks for the good information! I appreciate it! I'm sure I'll have many questions before it's all said and done... Preston
Old 08-21-2011, 02:39 PM

Will the Edge measure fuel pressure?
Old 08-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Mav View Post
Will the Edge measure fuel pressure?
Only the new ones (CS/CTS), and it cost extra for the cable.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:17 PM

So, is this an EGR delete? Just bought one...-dscf2233.jpg
Old 08-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Mav View Post
So, is this an EGR delete? Attachment 27982
Yes, that is a EGR delete.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:35 PM

Perfect! I'm sorry for the basic questions here. Generally, I'm above the average when it comes to mechanical inclination.... But I'm nervous on this truck. I don't want to miss anything important. I really appreciate your help. Since I do have an EGR delete, is there anything else I need to worry about? I mean, do I need to flush anything, or do anything else with the EGR? Thanks a lot! Preston
Old 08-22-2011, 03:19 AM

If you're still running Ford Gold Coolant, it is highly advised to flush that out and put in a coolant that will not clog up your oil cooler. Since you don't have an EGR Cooler anymore, that simply means that the EGR Cooler will not be the first point of failure if your oil cooler gets clogged. Instead, the oil cooler itself could fail, either by not cooling your oil sufficiently, or in the worst case, physical failure.

The EGR Cooler leaking is a symptom, not a problem in and of itself. You've prevented the symptom from occuring, but fixing the actual problem is changing the coolant.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:14 AM

So, I just need to do a good Coolant Flush? Then refill with the CAT coolant? I really appreciate it y'all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.