2006 6.0 Power steering/Brakes - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 07:24 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 6.0 Power steering/Brakes

Hey guys have a question. Driving my truck last night (2006 F250 Powerstroke) when I was pulling into my drive way applying brakes everything felt weird and very hard to steer. The next day brakes seemed ok they do feel odd sometimes like a vibration feeling in the pedal but i do not have power steering at idle or very low rpms. PS pump is not making any noises, i have no leaks and fluids are full...So brakes feel odd sometimes driving, no power steering at low rpms fine while driving... Any ideas? Please help... thanks again guys..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2011, 08:24 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
IIRC the brake booster and PS booster share the same pressure (somewhat). When doing both at times there is a los of feeling in the steering. I don't understand the full nature of this issue but it's not uncommon. Sometimes it's scary.......
Old 08-13-2011, 08:32 AM

so what do you think my problem is now?
Old 08-13-2011, 08:47 AM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
As far as the PS is concerned I think it's the nature of the beast. Wish I understood the system better to explain the issue better.

For the brakes it could be you are just more aware of what's going on. Best test I use for the brakes is on a road that the truck will track fairly straight and true without needing any steering wheel input. Then at a speed up to 55MPH I just apply the brakes in a firm manner. As long as the truck stays driving straight while braking that solves any issue were one brake is not applying properly.

For pulsing I pull the tires and check the disc/pads. Any grooves, gouges, warping or other visual/felt problem can cause issues. Without being an expert you can replace parts or just live with it till you get it fixed. Maybe flushing the fluid could help.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:39 PM

My truck did the exact same thing and two days later my power steering pump went out completely and had to replace it, after i installed the new pump everything was back to normal. Hope this helps
Old 02-21-2014, 06:31 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I know this is a old post but I've went through 4 powersteering pumps within a year no hard driving or anything rough on the truck. Does anyone know what might be cause these pumps to keep failing. I'm getting tired of replacing them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.