Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What to look for when buying used SCT for 6.0

69K views 46 replies 29 participants last post by  preachermanhull 
#1 · (Edited)
When buying a used SCT device, there are some things to consider. The cost of buying used or buying a new SCT with custom tunes included. There are vendors and authorized SCT tune writers that sell the units new with tunes included in the price.*

You can find used SCT devices on eBay, craigslist, friends/family, and various Ford forums. *Here's a rundown of the SCT devices that will work with the 6.0 powerstroke.*

X-2 *part #9400-- Custom tunes only.

X2 part SF #9415-- Canned tunes only, but can be converted to part #9400. *Once you convert the 9415 to the 9400 you lose the canned tunes to make room for the custom tunes. You need to ask the seller to clarify if the 9415 (canned only) was converted to 9400 (custom only). The conversion is done on SCT website for free.

X3 part #3000-- Here's where it gets confusing. There are two different X3 models, original X-3's and newer X3's. Both have the same part #3000. You will need to look at the device serial # to see which one it is. The original X3's are able to hold canned and custom tunes, the first two letters of the serial # will start with "X3". *The newer style X3's are only capable of holding custom tunes, the first two letters of the serial # will start with "XP". *There are two locations for the serial #, a sticker on the back of the X3 or power up the device, scroll to "device info" to retrieve the serial #.
The serial # tells you which model you have, along with the month/day/year of the device. The first two letters will be either "X3" or "XP", the second pair of numbers will be the month, the third pair of numbers will be the day, and the forth pair of numbers will be the year.*

Example: X3011608XXXXX----------- X3 is device,, 01/16/08 is the date.
X3's sold prior to 7/25/08 are the original X3's.

SF3 part #3015-- Will hold canned tunes and custom tunes.

Livewire part #9600-- Will hold canned and custom tunes.*

TSX part #8900-- Will hold canned and custom tunes.

Important information: When buying a used SCT that has custom tunes written for someone else's truck, not all tunes will work on all trucks. Custom tune compatibility will depend on the PCM/ECU (truck computer) year strategy. The '03 and early '04 trucks have the '03 motor and PCM/ECU, the hex code strategy will start with VXA. The late '04 PCM/ECU will start with VXB. The 05-07 PCM/ECU will start with VXC. Notice the third letter, A,B,C. You can not interchange tunes written for a different year PCM/ECU. An example is, tunes written for a '03-early '04 PCM/ECU with a VXA, will not work on a PCM/ECU that has VXB (late '04). Don't be fooled by just the truck year, you need to know the year PCM/ECM strategy hex code. If you try loading a different year strategy onto a different year PCM/ECM, your truck will be "locked out/no start", and will either have to be towed to a dealer for a reflash, or contact SCT with your issue, so they can send you a "recovery file" to load your stock tune back into the PCM/ECU.

You need to confirm with the seller if the status/married status of the SCT device is "Locked" or "Unlocked". *If your able to hook the SCT device up to a PC or a Ford OBDII port, go into the "Device info", it will tell you if it is locked or unlocked. *If you can't physically check the status yourself, have the seller confirm "locked or unlocked" with a picture of the screen. The SCT device's will only tune one vehicle at a time.

Status or Married status- Locked means that the SCT device can't be used by you until the seller returns his/her vehicle back to stock. If the seller can't return their vehicle back to stock (sold the vehicle), then the SCT device will need to be sent back to SCT to be unlocked for a fee ($150).

Status or Married status-- Unlocked means that the SCT device is ready to be used on another vehicle.*

You will also need to know from the seller, how many "unlocks" it has left. Depending on the SCT device, it left the SCT factory with either 3 or 5 "unlocks left". As long as it has "1 unlock left" you will be able to use the device on your truck. If the SCT device has "0 unlocks left", then it will need to be sent back to SCT to be reset for a fee ($65). Every time you use a SCT device to tune a different vehicle, it recognizes the different VIN number and uses up one of the "unlocks left". When you power up the SCT device, the amount of "unlocks" will be in the device info screen.

X2 part # 9400 & 9415 look for:
** * * * * Stat=stock, the tuner is half locked and can be fixed using the SCT website.
** * * * * *Stat=aftermarket, the X2 is locked
** * * * * * Stat=unused, the X2 is unlocked

X3 part #3000 & 3015 look for:

Livewire part #9600 look for:
** * * * * *Married Status: Unlocked
** * * * * *Married Status: Locked

TSX part #8900 look for:
** * * * * * * Married status: Unlocked
** * * * * * * Married status: Locked

Once you have the SCT device, the first thing you need to do is download the SCT drivers/software onto your PC and update the SCT device.

Your are now ready to use your SCT device. If your SCT device has canned tunes, your ready to go load a tune into the truck. If you want/required to use custom tunes, you need to go hook up the SCT device up to your truck and write down the truck "Strategy" and contact a authorized SCT custom tune writer with your truck info and SCT device serial #.

Here is some important info that your gonna want to do with your SCT.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0l-performance-parts-discussion/158379-tire-revs-per-mile.html

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...ssion/38452-how-save-your-stock-file-sct.html

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...ng-your-box-after-reflash-very-important.html

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-...2-go-back-stock-before-updating-your-sct.html

See less See more
#3 ·
Sticky for sure!!!!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#4 ·
It's one newbie question that gets asked alot.

#5 ·
Holy Moly Lilpooh that is a wealth of knowledge!!! Must have some first hand experience. Thanks for the great info and the time spent to document the whole thing!!:thumb:

#6 ·
Since I own an original X3, when I need to update the device I need to make sure I'm using the right firmware/tune revision. Most of that info can be found on SCT website, I just dumbed it down a little bit!

The SCT for the Ford has been out for quite some time, and there are alot good deals out there for those who want a SCT, just need to be informed so no one gets screwed.

#7 ·
Thread has been sticky'ed. Thanks for documenting that, Rich!

#9 ·
Read the first post, this will explain which models are capable of holding- canned only, custom only, or both canned/custom.

"Canned Tunes" mean that it come already in the SCT device, these canned tunes are generic tunes that any 6.0 powerstroke can run, no matter what your strategy is.

"Custom Tunes" need to be ordered from a authorized SCT custom tune writer. Custom tunes are set up based off your strategy, truck mods, and if the transmission is a automatic or manual.

Custom tunes vary in price depending on the custom tune writer, and if your buying one tune or several tunes in a package deal.

If you buy a used SCT that has canned tunes, be sure to update the device Firmware. If the device has older Firmware, it might not recognize a newer strategy.

If you buy a new SCT it should have the current up to date Firmware, but always check the device Firmware and compare it to the latest Firmware available.

New or Used, be sure the device has the current Firmware and/or Tune Revision.

#10 ·
Here's a short video on checking SCT device status and unlocks.

#11 ·
hey im totally new to the forum. just bought a 2006 6.0 with 43k miles 2 months ago. Shes in the shop now with a blown oil cooler, luckily i boght the ford premium warranty with it as it covers 30k miles, if my oil cooler went out should i be concerned about anything else, also will egr delete solve all the problems of the 6.0

#13 ·
Thank you sir!!

#14 ·
Quik question?
Im on my local craigslist and I spot a SCT X3. He had it on his 00 mustang and it is returned to stock. It is unlocked/unmarried. Does it matter what vehicle it was ever used for prior? I'm trying to understand if I would have any issues with it being from a gas car to a diesel...

#15 ·
As long as its a model #3000, your good to go. Just be sure to update the firmware on the device.

#16 ·
Another caveat to add to lilpooh's info on SCT....

I recently had the opportunity to purchase a BAMA PERFORMANCE version of the SCT. Lilpooh originally said I should be skeptical so I held off in buying it before researching more - he did tell me user xu67585 was asking him about using one a couple weeks ago and he wasnt sure if they locked the tuner in some way or not.

So here is what I found out with the help of lilpooh, xu67585 and various mustang forums.

The Bama Performance, Brenspeed, etc....branded tuners are not locked in the way of being able to update the tuner themselves, the tunes ARE locked and unedittable which is meaningless for us being its for a powerstroke. They basically put a new faceplate on with their name and preload what they call "custom canned tunes" that are taylored for various year range mustangs. The best method of attack for using one of these branded tuners seems to be to have the tuner do a complete update back to stock configuration through the SCT site, xu67585 confirmed this worked on his 6.0 with canned tunes and a Bama performance tuner.

That being said my disclaimer is I have not PERSONALLY verified this as the tuner I wanted to buy was sold out from under me while I was researching this and making sure I wasnt buying a brick.

I hope that helps you guys in buying these branded tuners....I believe this is the same principal that ID uses with their 3015, its just a new faceplate and preloaded tunes in an SCT unit.

Todd

#18 ·
It's best that the entire strategy matches. The first three number/letters tell the year of the PCM/truck. From what I understand, the last 4 numbers/letters can be interchanged to s certain degree. But I don't know the specifics of how far back/forward you can mix the last numbers/letters without causing engine running/performance issues.

For example, I've got the 03 motor/PCM with the VXA strategy. I can run tunes written for the VXAP1N6 and VXAP2N2 without issues. But I don't know if I can run the early VXAL??? and VXAM?? strategies without causing issues.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#19 ·
Can someone tell me how to tell what strategy my truck has?

#20 ·
You'll need some sort of OBDII monitor/reader to check strategy. Some OBDII monitors/reader will and some won't.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#21 ·
So what's a good price on a used sct? Say the 3015 model

#23 ·
The X3 and SF3 units IMO not more then $250 max... Reason is you will need to buy some custom tunes for your truck which cost $100 for three tunes.
Well that makes that USED setup a total of $350.

New units from our Populat Tuners (Eric, Matt, Vivian, Tony) cost around $425 WITH tunes included... and the item is new with a 1 year Manufacturer warrenty.

Just my 2cents

#24 ·
Also SCT has raised their price to unlock these. It is now $150 per SCT's website:

IF THE ORIGINAL VEHICLE IS NOT PRESET, READ THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS

To get the unit unlocked you will need to contact our Tech Support staff over the phone and they will instruct you on what you will need and the information we will need so you can send your device in to us for unlock. The cost to unlock the unit is $150.00

#25 ·
Hey folks, I'm new to the forum and really glad that I found the site! over the last few days I've found tons of useful knowledge! I have a quick SCT question. Last year I bought the truck of my dreams! 01' F-250 7.3 10 inch lift, goodies galore! I bought an SCT programmer for the truck and it was great! soon after my dreams shattered and the truck got totaled. I didn't put the program back on the programmer before they hauled the truck away. Last week I bought a 07' F-250 6.0 that is done up to the MAX! except has bone stoke motor. The truck is in my local diesel shop (The Diesel Depot) where it's getting ARP head studs and upgraded EGR. Question is can I get my SCT reprogrammed so I can use it on my new truck????
Thanks a million for your time!!!

#30 ·
Excellent news and that's some great service from the folks at sct.

#32 ·
If you buy an sct tuner that has been married, you can send it to sct for about $150 they will reload it for you. I had an issue (drinking) and tuning my truck for the first time. I turned the key off before the tune was done loading. Fried my PCM and lost my tune. Called my local Diesel Performance shop that I purchased it from and had it done within 2 weeks. They gave me a loaner until my 5015 returned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.