Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

"Adjusting the steering box" Someone shed some light?

81K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  ZMANN 
#1 ·
I have an 05 Ex and it has some slop in the steering. Could "adjusting the steering box" help? How do you do this??

#2 ·
There is an adjuster on the top of the steering gearbox with a lock nut. Back the lock nut off, turn the adjuster, lock the nut back down. It is a PITA to get to but it can be done. Do not over tighten it or you will be replacing the steering gearbox shortly thereafter.

Look into ball joints, tie rods, track bar ball joint , etc. The usual culprits are more likely the problem.

#6 ·
I did the ball joints when I first got it..(amazing how loose they were) and at the time my older brother who is a heavy truck mechanic inspected all my other connections said there wasnt anything else loose... Dunno?

#3 ·
Be careful adjusting that screw as you can bind up the bearings in the gear box... I posted this in another thread (linked below). Be very carefull about tightening the nut too tight, you want some play in the wheel, that nut is for taking the slack out of a brand new gear box.

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/6-0-drivetrain-problems/210211-06-f250-slack-st-wheel.html

Here you go! ;)

Start the truck.
Turn the wheels from left stop to right stop completely then back to the left approximately 45 degrees.
Shut the truck off.
Hold the meshload screw, loosen the lock nuts then adjust the meshload screw no more than ¼ turn at a time (Rotate clockwise to increase, counterclockwise to decrease)
Tighten locknut to 30Nm (23 lb-ft)
Start truck and turn from left stop to right stop completely then position the wheel at center. Test for play. If too much then repeat steps. DO NOT tighten the meshload screw to where there is no play in the steering wheel at all. This can cause you bearings to bind. You want some play in the steering wheel.

Since you’re doing this you could do a power steering flush as well.

Remove the reservoir cap.
Suction the fluid out of the reservoir (a turkey baster is what I’ve always used)
Disconnect the return hose. Plug the inlet port.
Attach an extension hose to the return hose and place in a bucket.
Fill the reservoir with new fluid.
Start the truck and turn the steering wheel all the way to the left then turn the truck off.
Refill the reservoir.
Start the truck and turn the steering wheel all the way to the right. Turn truck off.
Repeat filling the reservoir and turning from right to left until the fluid coming out of the line is clean as new.
Once done just reinstall the hose and fill the reservoir to the proper level.
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES LET THE POWER STEERING RESERVOIR GO EMPTY!!! This can cause air in your pump and lines and lead to problems like poor steering, pump overheating and loss of power steering.

I don’t think I missed any steps anywhere, been a while since I’ve done it. I got the torque specs for the hold down nut after calling my dealership to ask what spec was.

#5 ·
Amazing how much help a guy can get from this site..I'd buy you all a beer...:thumb:

Reactions: SparkyF250
#9 ·
I would say around 15 degrees of play from the wheels being centered would be ideal if taking the slack out of your current box. Anything above and beyond that I would say is "drivable" up to about 30 degrees. Personally, I'd think anything over 30 degrees of play in the wheel in either direction from center would be too much.

For an easy reference. With the wheels centered, the top of the steering wheel would be 0 degrees, the 1 o'clock and 11 o'clock positions would be +30 or - 30 degrees.

Others may disagree but that's my thoughts on it. I have about 10 degrees of play in my steering wheel now, I had close to 30 degrees when I bought the truck and it would want to "walk" slightly on the freeway at 65+ speeds and would require quite a bit of steering wheel input to correct due to the play. After taking some of the slack out it drives like an arrow now requiring very little steering wheel input to correct.

#14 ·
I just did this on a 2014. It felt really sloppy. Prior to adjusting you could wiggle the wheel back and forth at least 30 degrees without even moving the pitman arm. I could see the steering shaft going back and forth with zero movement on the pitman arm. Now its down to about 6 degrees until the pitman arm moves. I just hope I didn't make it to tight. I found that a 1/4 turn didn't do anything I end up doing about 1.5 turns in before it felt like it was taking up slack. I lifted the front off the ground and even disconnected the stabilizer and moved the wheels back and forth fully to both sides. I didn't hear or feel any binding.

Has anyone had any issues doing an adjustment on the 2011-current trucks? I hope I can keep it the way it is, because it feels so much better now.

#15 ·
When i bought my truck i took a full 3 turns out of the box i did it over a week period as I had time

that was 5 years ago and it is still fine nothing vastly different on the 11 up

unhooking the stabilizer and jacking it up is extra work i prefer to just turn the steering shaft back and forth and watch the pitman arm

but whatever works for you

#16 ·
roger that!

Yeah they all seem to have some slop from the factory, with factory tires and pitman arms its probably bearable, but once you lift it, drop pitman arm and bigger tires, it feels like a 72 cadillac.

BTW for anyone that wants to do this, I found the easiest way to access the steering box is to remove the drivers side fender well, only takes 5 minutes with a screw gun and bits. I was then able to nicely place a socket with a long *** extension all the way to the top of engine bay and put a breaker bar on it to break the nut loose. Then swap your socket for a 10mm hex head and hold the nut still with a 15/16 wrench. I don't see how the heck to do it any other way with the power steering hoses, fan shroud, radiator hoses all in the way.

#19 ·
Not just "Do Not Overtighten". Tighten in very small steps! Do not tighten more than 1/4 turn at a time. Each time, check for play - if still, some go another 1/4 turn. If it gets even a little too tight it may feel ok but you can make a turn and your steering will NOT return to "center". The labor is not fun, but neither is an on-road accident.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.