Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

05 F350 6.0L will crank but no start when hot

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  lenrod 
#1 ·
I bought a 2005 F350 diesel 6.0L a week ago. The truck ran great then a week after I bought did some around town driving 30 miles w/ 4 stops including fuel, after about 1 1/2 hours the truck would crank but not start. Sprayed a shot of ether and started. Drove about a mile, turned off and restarted right away. About an hour later same thing of cranking but no start and then started again w/ ether. Drove about 15 miles, sat for 3 hours and started right up. two days since and started fine (but was cold each time) Truck is in the shop and they are saying they think it is looking like a high oil pressure leak. Does this sound right? New to diesels and don't have any gauges other than the factory ones.

#2 ·
High pressure oil leak sounds right to me.

#4 ·
Edge insight for sure. You can add EGT and Fuel pressure to it later as well as a turbo timer if you feel the need.

#5 ·
doesnt the upgraded STC fitting fix this issue? I would have them do that while they are in there along with new dummy plugs and stand pipes.

Todd

#7 ·
DUDE my advice, being in the same boat as you a few months ago, is to get them to delete your egr and get arp headstuds installed. Im still kicking myself in the teeth for not knowing better...

Did you purchase the truck from a dealership? If so, are they covering the cost of the repairs for the no-start? I was shafted with my '05 (had 182000KMS) just 5 days after purchasing from the dealership...

I dont believe the turbo drain/feed tubes are included with the updated STC, as mine are still the old style even after the HPOP fix.

#8 ·
Hope the dealer helps out, almost any real dealer has a 30 days(mine had a 90 day) no questions asked warranty/guarantee on the truck.

I would give them a ring since digging down to the HPOP is a lot of work, just be sitting down when you get the repair tab on replacing the STC fittings and the other bits that should be done at the same time.

Jason

#9 ·
I have contacted the dealer as I have taken it to a local dealer for the service. I did buy the extended bumper to bumper warranty and the original dealer said they will cover the deductible. I figured it only had 38,000 miles so it was just gtting broke in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.