single or dual alternators ? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2011, 03:48 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
single or dual alternators ?

this may be a stupid question but , does the 6.0 have one or two alt's on it ? I was checking on advance's site and they had more dual applications than single for alt. replacement. ????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2011, 03:53 PM
Banned

I believe only ambulance packages had dual alts.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:01 PM

Mine has dual alternators and its not an ambulance. I think that it was ordered that way and whoever ordered it backed out of the deal for some reason. I have not seen too many dual alternator trucks out there though. What are the benefits of having two alternators anyways?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragrazor View Post
Mine has dual alternators and its not an ambulance. I think that it was ordered that way and whoever ordered it backed out of the deal for some reason. I have not seen too many dual alternator trucks out there though. What are the benefits of having two alternators anyways?
Because ambulances, work truck applications, and various other uses put a huge demand on the electrical system. Think about all of the equipment running on an ambulance. All of the truck's vitals, plus, a ton of flashing lights, overhead lights for the EMT's, a whole bunch of medical equipment...that kills a electrical system fast. On a work truck you might be running a welder, generators, stuff like that.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:35 PM

Not to be a smart A** , but look under the hood the alternator is the only thing driven by the belt that has it’s own fan. Some have 1 others have 2
Old 07-15-2011, 06:01 PM
Premium Member

Mine has two. Was ordered that way by the previous owner.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:45 PM

So i kno my truck has dual alternators on it but i was curious if u had to have an ambulance package to get the duals? And second question is what kind of amps does each put out at idol and at max output? I kno they are stock?
Old 09-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I have dual alternators also, but couldn't tell you why some came with single or dual, never really wanted to know!LOL!!!

Here is a copy/paste from another site I'm on.

The charging system is a negative ground system consisting of the following:
- generator(s)
- internal voltage regulator
- charging system warning indicator
- storage battery
- necessary wiring and cables

Generator
The generator is belt-driven by the engine accessory drive system.

The single generator system consists of the generator mounted on the top right of the engine (diesel) or top center of the engine (gas). The gas
engines use a 3G 115-amp generator with a 2.71:1 pulley ratio. The 6.0L diesel engine uses a 6G 110-amp generator with a 2.79:1 pulley ratio.

The dual generator package consists of an upper/lower dual generator system. The 6.0L upper generator is a VR42 140-amp generator with a 2.79:1
pulley ratio. The 6.0L lower generator is a 4G 120-amp generator with a 3.00:1 pulley ratio. The upper and lower generators are not interchangeable.

In the single generator system, with the key in the ON position, voltage is supplied through the instrument cluster warning indicator I circuit to the
voltage regulator. The regulator grounds this circuit and the charging system warning indicator is illuminated. When the engine is started, the
regulator removes the ground on this circuit and the warning indicator turns off.

On the dual generator system, the PCM controls the charging system warning indicator and commands the lamp on if the PCM detects a concern on
the monitored circuits.

The dual generator system is also monitored and controlled by the PCM. The PCM monitors both the upper and lower generator I circuits to
determine the output of both generators and sets possible diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs). The PCM controls the lower generator by turning it off
when the glow plug system is commanded on by the PCM to avoid possible damage (excessive voltage) to the glow plugs. As soon as the glow plug
system stops cycling, the PCM powers up the lower generator.

The dual generators operate independently of each other. The control is through the internal voltage regulators. If one generator fails, the other
generator can maintain system performance under light load conditions. Under a heavy load, the PCM detects a concern, sets a DTC, and illuminates
the warning indicator.

The set voltage varies with temperature and is typically higher in cold temperatures than in warm temperatures. This allows for better battery
recharge in the winter and reduces the chance of overcharging in the summer.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:54 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Dual alternators was an option, I ordered it on my truck. I specifically got it because I knew I would be plowing and running back up lights, strobes and a rotating light.

I also ordered manual shift transfer case instead of that electronic crap. That is one thing you don't see to often and I don't even think it is available to be ordered that way on a new truck.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:02 PM

Ya i dont think so either, in my expeience tho its the auto part of the vaccum hubs that usually fails not the electroshift. Thank god fords have the manual lock also! Especially for people pushing snow.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.