HPOP gauge readings - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
HPOP gauge readings

I just installed a HPOP gauge that was custom done by Dakota Digital. I had told them that i needed it so that 0-volts means 0-psi and 5-volts means 4000psi so that they could calibrate/program the gauge with some sort of software. Not sure what psi readings i'm suppose to be seeing as idle or at any certain RPM. Haven't seen anything over 1600psi. When truck is up to temp...the psi reading is 700 in park, but with it idling in drive with the foot on the brake...it's 720psi. At 55mph at about 1600-1650rpms the reading was 1000-1020psi. I punched the throttle once from a dead stop....the rpms went a little bit over 3000rpms and the psi reading went to 1600psi. How much rpms does it take to get a high psi reading. Do my readings seem right? I'll try to get a driving video tomorrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2011, 02:01 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin6L View Post
I just installed a HPOP gauge that was custom done by Dakota Digital. I had told them that i needed it so that 0-volts means 0-psi and 5-volts means 4000psi so that they could calibrate/program the gauge with some sort of software. Not sure what psi readings i'm suppose to be seeing as idle or at any certain RPM. Haven't seen anything over 1600psi. When truck is up to temp...the psi reading is 700 in park, but with it idling in drive with the foot on the brake...it's 720psi. At 55mph at about 1600-1650rpms the reading was 1000-1020psi. I punched the throttle once from a dead stop....the rpms went a little bit over 3000rpms and the psi reading went to 1600psi. How much rpms does it take to get a high psi reading. Do my readings seem right? I'll try to get a driving video tomorrow.
Mine shows the same as you. I've never seen over 1600 PSI. Idle after warmed up shows 589 PSI.

Last edited by ej krueger; 07-13-2011 at 02:16 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:38 AM

I'm at about the same as you except when I go WOT I'll see 3k+ I don't watch it that closely though at WOT since, well, I'm at WOT and I'm watching the road. This is with the ISSPRO gauge.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:13 AM
Premium Member

I was able to get up to 3380 psi. If you are only getting up to 1600 something is not right. Possibly loose or poor connection on the pigtail or elsewhere like the gauge ground. I soldered my connections. If the connections are fine it may be a gauge issue.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:18 AM

I haven't done a WOT run yet.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Premium Member

Yep at 50-60 mat it you should get around 3800psi on high pressure oil. The max pressure that I have seen is 4050psi at WOT.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
I was able to get up to 3380 psi. If you are only getting up to 1600 something is not right. Possibly loose or poor connection on the pigtail or elsewhere like the gauge ground. I soldered my connections. If the connections are fine it may be a gauge issue.
One wierd thing i did notice....is that when i turn the key on(engine off) the gauge will read 200psi. How can it read 200psi when the truck isn't even running? Does your dakota digital gauge read anything when you key on...engine off?
Old 07-14-2011, 03:20 AM
Premium Member

Yes mine does the same. This is common with gauges that measure high pressures.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:01 AM
Premium Member

Doesnt the Edge CS monitor ICP pressure? I know the Scangauge will. Wouldnt that be a much easier way to monitor ICP pressure? Whats the reason you want a manual gauge?
Old 07-22-2011, 08:15 AM

Ok there's what i've been noticing everytime i start my truck up when cold. it'll read ICP higher than 1600psi for the first mile or so. But after that and when it starts to build heat, it'll just barely reach 1600 at the same RPM's. I haven't done a hard WOT run yet tho. I'm going to be recieveing a ISSPRO HPOP gauge today to find out whether or not it's the calibration of the Dakota Digital gauge or the Strictly Diesel ICP pigtail harness. I replaced the ICP sensor with a new '05-07 ICP sensor about a month ago, so i don't think it's the sensor. The truck starts, idles and runs pretty good, but for what's done to it....it seems low on power. I've been wondering if maybe the HPOP is maybe getting weak and maybe that's the issue...IDK. Here's some vids i took. The first one is a few seconds after cold start up with PSI about 820-840psi. It gets to around 2100psi at about 2500rpms...then at the end of the vid at 2500rpms again it only gets to about 1540psi. The second vid is at warm startup 700-720psi. At about the same 2500rpms as the first vid the PSI gets to 1520-1540.

fist vid few seconds after cold startup ‪002‬‏ - YouTube

second vid at warm startup ‪003‬‏ - YouTube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.