New Brake Rotor Turned Blue (Heat) in 8-miles, Keep Using or Replace? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 07:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New Brake Rotor Turned Blue (Heat) in 8-miles, Keep Using or Replace?

So I changed all four rotors (Motorcraft) & Pads (Wagner ThermoQuiet)and flushed the brake fluid.

Took a test drive afterwards (8-miles total). Brakes worked as expected, but when I returned I "smelled something". I immediately went around & started checkin each wheel ... all were good except the right rear.

Apparently I have a sticky caliper or a collapsed brake line (haven't quite narrowed it 100% but I'm pinning it on the caliper) ... the new pad must of dragged on the new rotor for the entire 8-miles. The heat was enough to turn the rotor blue.

I'm no expert on this, so I'm asking ... should I correct the problem & continue using the pad & rotor that was heated? Or, is it recommeded to replace everything if the rotor turned blue??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2011, 04:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well you can just have the rotor turned down and it should be ok. I would think you could just grind down some of the brake pad to get the glaze off if you dont want to get new pads.
I need new rotors and pads all around..How much did it cost you in parts?
Old 07-11-2011, 04:04 AM

Also dont forget when you install new pads and rotors you have to break them in. That includes getting up to 45mph and hitting the brakes hard till you come to alomost a complete stop then get back up to 45mph again and stop again and you do this 4-6 times. Then let it cool for abit and your brakes are ready to go.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

First time poster here but long time lurker. Just did rear brake pads yesterday after having some caliper sticking issues. Had noticed the right rear wheel dragging a bit and getting quite hot on occassion. After getting all apart, the heat had caused the right rear lower piston to sieze and upon removing the caliper, both pistons disintegrated. Needless to say, two new rear calipers were purchased along with hawk super duty pads, rotors were turned and all put back together successfully. Just a heads up as to my experience with "hot wheels"!
Old 07-13-2011, 03:43 PM

The brake rotor is a fairly high strength steel alloy. Since the rotor turned blue that is a sure sign that the heat it was subjected to has changed it’s temper. As brief insight into metallurgy, when you want to make an item out of steel like a tool, knife or a brake rotor. After you machine the part it is heated red hot and quenched in the medium of choice. Then it is now a very hard, but brittle part. The next step is heat it in a controlled oven to a select temperature based on how hard and tough the parts needs to be. This will make that part a little softer, but much tougher and a lot less brittle. If there are a few blue spots it’s probably ok. Now if the color has changed uniformly over a large percentage of the rotor surface, I personally wouldn’t trust it. In any case it will have to be turned to deglaze it and the pads will need to be de-glazed too. BTW if it has had it’s temper altered over a large percentage of the rotor turning it will make it look nice, but that doesn’t mean it’s OK.

Last edited by HAM_RADIO_MAN; 07-13-2011 at 03:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.