installing an external wastegate - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 03:52 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
installing an external wastegate

Is it even possible or worth it? I get a lot of turbo bark on my 03. It also seems to spool a little slow too. Maybe I need my turbo rebuilt. But either way, is there such a thing as installing an external wastegate on a 6.0? A buddy of mine has a common rail 5.9 with an external wastegate along with the wastegate that is on the turbo itself.... very odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Powerstroke Techie

I think you mean the cummins has a blowoff valve, not an external wastegate. A wastegate is used on the exhaust side of a turbo, a blowoff valve is on the intake side. They both work in the same way, regulating boost. But a blow off valve vents excessive boost, where a wastegate keeps it from ever building that much boost. Either way you would have to be making serious boost to need a system different from the OEM style.

The turbo "chuffing" sound that you hear from the intake side of a 6.0 is rather normal. If it's slow to build boost then the turbo could be hanging up. You would need to actually moniter boost pressures and see what it's doing first.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:24 PM
The Silent Service

No way to do this on the 6.0L that I am aware of, due to the way the VGT is designed in these trucks. Explain what you mean about slow spool up? Slow when you slam the trottle (which is normal) or when you're rolling into it? You may need a rebuild or just something as easy as a cleaning if there's just a lot of build up.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Powerstroke Techie

A VGT turbo works like a wastegated turbo does, in that the PCM will control the turbo vanes to regulate boost. If it doesn't want more boost it changes the VGT fins to let the exhaust bypass the turbo exhaust impeller, thus making less boost.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
No way to do this on the 6.0L that I am aware of, due to the way the VGT is designed in these trucks.
sure there is, external wastegates have nothing to do with the turbo. Thats why they are external.

but to the op you would only need a wastegate on a stock turbo truck if you were running nitrous with big injectors.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:25 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06powerstroke06 View Post
sure there is, external wastegates have nothing to do with the turbo. Thats why they are external.

. . .but to the op you would only need a wastegate on a stock turbo truck if you were running nitrous with big injectors.
I learn something new everyday, though you are no where near a stock configuration. I figured it would cause issues with the programming .
Old 07-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
I learn something new everyday, though you are no where near a stock configuration. I figured it would cause issues with the programming .
im not, but my point was that you can do it. A wastegate would be a good idea on a powermax/190 set up that you are spraying on the track just because you can over spool the turbo. A tuner can adjust everything with no problem.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:25 PM

So far you guys have helped a lot! The turbo bark im hearing is the boost being pushed back through the intake when I let off, and its not only when theres high boost, it does it quite often. And its very slow to spool if i floor it from idle, which i can understand is normal. I just thought I had read another place that some guy was having similar issues and needed his turbo rebuilt. I had an edge in my truck for a week and it seems to run normal boost numbers. 2-6lbs driving normal on the highway, 10-12 when i speed up a bit, and 22-25 at WOT.

Off subject, but I have a SCT Livewire and an Edge Attitude with Juice. Can I run the Edge in STOCK mode just to monitor things with the SCT tune in? Or will this not work or ruin something?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Those boost PSI's sound ok, but it's really hard to tell for sure without looking at the truck. I say that because 22-25 is your peak boost, which is ok. It's more so a matter of how long it takes to get to those numbers. If the VGT vanes are stuck at a max boost setting you will still see high boost, it will just take forever to get there. And seeing as you hear it huffing thru the intake quite a bit it makes me think that the turbo fins might be hung up. They will make that noise but it's usually only when you let off it after being on it hard.

You really don't need to "rebuild" the turbo. It just needs to be taken apart and cleaned up.

I thought you could just use the edge as a data logger but I'm not 100% sure on that. You should be able to use the livewire for data though. Why don't you just use that?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinmix View Post
Those boost PSI's sound ok, but it's really hard to tell for sure without looking at the truck. I say that because 22-25 is your peak boost, which is ok. It's more so a matter of how long it takes to get to those numbers. If the VGT vanes are stuck at a max boost setting you will still see high boost, it will just take forever to get there. And seeing as you hear it huffing thru the intake quite a bit it makes me think that the turbo fins might be hung up. They will make that noise but it's usually only when you let off it after being on it hard.

You really don't need to "rebuild" the turbo. It just needs to be taken apart and cleaned up.

I thought you could just use the edge as a data logger but I'm not 100% sure on that. You should be able to use the livewire for data though. Why don't you just use that?
Right on, I may just remove it and go throught it, make sure its all ok. Don't these turbos normally crank out 28lbs of boost max in stock form?

Thats what ive heard too, using the edge as a data logger. But I know a fella with a 7.3 that used the Edge as a data logger and also used DP tunes and he said it was the tunes that blew up his motor. But he also beat the hell outta his stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.