fuel filter problem... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 04:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
fuel filter problem...

Im having a problem getting the cap on all the way with the new style filter with the Oring on it. Ive taken it off and tried to put it back together 3 times and I get the cap on all the way untill the last 1-2 rotations and it stops. I even put the cap on without the filter in to make sure it would go all the way on and it goes on good. I tried putting the filter in the HFCM first then putting the cap on and it still stops a few turns short of tight. Whats the deal?? I have the filter snapped all the way into the cap and when I put the filter into the housing it feels like its all the way in.
The old style filter doesnt have a Oring on the end of it does it? I never changed the fuel filters so I dont know. Maybe the Oring came off and is jammed up in there or something.
So what I did was start the trk up to see if its leaking with the new filter in and its not leaking. What could the problem be?? I dont want to leave it like this for long.

Shark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2011, 06:53 PM

Bump. I'm having the same issue. What's the deal with this? The new style filter on the frame rail is a bit longer than the old style and it has a o-ring on it.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:06 PM

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
yeah but the o ring is supposed to go further in to seal in there. did you try putting a touch of oil or atleast diesel fuel on the o ring to lubricate it some?
Old 08-05-2011, 07:15 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
They are made that way for the 6.4 trucks so we get them too. I'm still using the old style ones, and put and pre-pump spin on filter on so I don't have to worry about a little bypass in the hfcm.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

Try putting the filter in first, then do the cap.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:59 AM
Serving Our Country!

I use the same method as Sean above; filter first, then cap. I have been changing my fuel filters for quite some time using both styles - new style now all the way with no problems on fitment.

Jonathan
Old 08-06-2011, 08:36 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
i've always done filter first then cap. seems easier

you could also try lubing the oring with a little motor oil. i usually do that too
Old 08-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jd View Post
I use the same method as Sean above; filter first, then cap. I have been changing my fuel filters for quite some time using both styles - new style now all the way with no problems on fitment.

Jonathan
Jonathan, I have brought this up before. When I changed the lower fuel filter the first time, I had a heck of a time getting the cap all the way on. I pulled it back out (old style filter) and looked in the hole (of the filter). There are things that have to line up on something in there. I thought about it and wondered if when I have the filter in the cap, I might not be getting it lined up at the right moment, thus binding the filter in the housing.

So, I said screw it, and put the filter in first, and it went all the way down.

Since then, I have always put the filter in first. I know it is recommended to snap filter in cap then screw it in. I don't and I haven't had any issues.

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.