new to the blue oval - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new to the blue oval

hey all, im new here to the forum, although iv been reading up on the 6.0 for a month or 2 now. my previous rig was an 02' duramax 2500. iv been a chevy guy all 32 years of my life. i put 189k miles on my chevy with nothing more than a steering box and 8 injectors ever failing. unfortunately (or fortunately, however you look at) the truck was totaled when the ramps on a flatbed tralier failed while unloading a piece of heavy equipment lifting the tires off the ground and dislodging the chock blocks, sending the whole thing, truck trailer and excavator down a hill in to a tree. im not gonna lie, i wanted another duramax but i also realized i had to have a 1 ton crew cab. with the insurance settlement plus a chunk of cash on my part, i wanted to buy a truck outright for the first time. this put me in the 18k range and after months of looking i found zero chevys and only 2 f350's that i would consider. i ended up working out a deal on an '05 f350 cc/lb lariet with every option in the book including a 2in leveling kit and new wheels/tires for $17,500. the truck has 99k of easy high altitude miles. (previous owner was a retired older fella that didnt haul anything more than his dogs) it has rebuilt turbo, installed at 94k and a new tranny/tranny cooler replaced under warrenty at 65k. (apparently it came with or was refitted with wrong tranny cooler, which caused the original tranny to grenade) it's a December '04 build from kentucky and has no MAF. i have all the service and warrenty records and its been regularly maintained and has had no other major issues.
I own a landscape construction company and i do a lot of towing, the trailers weigh 3500k empty and can get up to 13k when loaded down. im pretty up to date on the duramax's and the mods/maintenance that are required to keep the trucks alive under the abuse of hard miles. iv been in the chevy forums for 5 or 6 years.
As for the mods to 6.0l, iv already got rid of the cat, done the zoodad and high idle. iv got an egr delete kit from RCD and a cat back exhaust from magnaflow on order. (had a magnaflow turbo back on my duramax and loved it) so that brings me to a few questions. should i get the STC update kit and do that while i got the motor torn apart for the egr delete? seems the STC failure is not an issue or 'if' but 'when' on these '05's. also iv read it might be a good idea to rebuild the oil cooler... is this necessary in all practical purposes? also, the coolant flush looks like a good idea as well. im not impressed with the factory gauges and from what iv gathered the edge insight with the pyro is the way to go. (had and edge/attitude on the duramax for a long time) im not planning on putting a tune or chip on this truck. im just looking to get the best mpg's, lowest egt's and longest life possible out of this 6.0l motor.
so am i on the right track powerstroke nation? what am i missing? i plan on doing the egr delete and exhaust next weekend, anything else i should be swapping out, or looking for while im in there? STC? it's weird getting reacquainted with a different diesel motor! although im liking what i see so far... i imagine this is what a getting a new girlfriend feels like after your wife left you.... sorry for the long intro, thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Sounds like a good plan (with the exception of calling this powerstroke nation, THIS IS THE ORG! J/K)

The 6.0 isn't nearly as evil as people have you believe. Sure, they have quirks, but so does everything.

Yes, change the STC. Before you change the oil cooler, do a good flush with restore and vc9, do a search for the procedure. Afterwards, record the difference between coolant temp and oil temp while cruising after the truck is fully warmed up. If it exceeds 15 degrees, rebuild the cooler! The edge insight is a great piece of equipment, I'd definately recommend one.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:09 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Don't "rebuild" the oil cooler, REPLACE it with the updated unit Ford is now offering. Do it during your EGR delete, DEFINITELY flush the sucker thoroughly, especially with the RESTORE to remove silicates, then refill with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and a ELC that meets CAT'S EC-1 spec. Clean your turbo as well.
Information on how to (plus anything else here)
Diesel Technician Society

Replace your thermostat with new Ford/International unit, also order 6.4 liter fuel banjo bolts from your dealer (they connect fuel lines to head) and the new blue spring fuel regulator kit. Always use Ford or International oil and fuel filters, and run a good 5W-40 synthetic motor oil. Don't forget to service your auto trans as well every 30K. Follow these simple mods/maintenance and your truck will perform reliably and run strong.
I love my 2004! The truck runs strong, and yields 20 mpg, with the CAT still on.

John
Old 07-09-2011, 10:17 AM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTAJOHN View Post
Don't "rebuild" the oil cooler, REPLACE it with the updated unit Ford is now offering. Do it during your EGR delete, DEFINITELY flush the sucker thoroughly, especially with the RESTORE to remove silicates, then refill with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and a ELC that meets CAT'S EC-1 spec. Clean your turbo as well.
Information on how to (plus anything else here)
Diesel Technician Society

Replace your thermostat with new Ford/International unit, also order 6.4 liter fuel banjo bolts from your dealer (they connect fuel lines to head) and the new blue spring fuel regulator kit. Always use Ford or International oil and fuel filters, and run a good 5W-40 synthetic motor oil. Don't forget to service your auto trans as well every 30K. Follow these simple mods/maintenance and your truck will perform reliably and run strong.
I love my 2004! The truck runs strong, and yields 20 mpg, with the CAT still on.

John
The updated oil cooler you are referring to is the "rebuild". The oil cooler includes the aluminum top plate as well, a rebuild involves replacing the heat exchanger that gets plugged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.