EGR Delete+Programer $1500 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGR Delete+Programer $1500

So i posted 2 days ago about the problems ive been having with my 05' the check engine light which threw a EGR positioning sensor code. From everyones help on here i gather i need an EGR delete and confirm the oil cooler is still good.

Got a price from a local diesel mod shop that is very reputable for $1500 to check the coolant, oil cooler, install the EGR Delete, and install the SCT wiht 3 custom tunes. Seems alittle steep to me considering the SCT is 450 and the EGR delete is 350.

Let me know you thoughts if you dont mind
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Its pretty labor intensive, not hard just takes awhile, I was quoted $1850.00 for mine.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd811 View Post
So i posted 2 days ago about the problems ive been having with my 05' the check engine light which threw a EGR positioning sensor code. From everyones help on here i gather i need an EGR delete and confirm the oil cooler is still good.

Got a price from a local diesel mod shop that is very reputable for $1500 to check the coolant, oil cooler, install the EGR Delete, and install the SCT wiht 3 custom tunes. Seems alittle steep to me considering the SCT is 450 and the EGR delete is 350.

Let me know you thoughts if you dont mind
$379 SCT from innovative (or $429 w/ custom tune) + $159 egr delete from RCD (or $500 for EGR delete and oil cooler kit)

So you looking at $538 or $929

Do it your self (if possible) and you could save $571

I don't know how much labor is involved but they are trying to make money off the parts too. Maybe get a labor only quote from them and buy parts else where?

Last edited by ej krueger; 07-07-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:21 PM

You need to check your delta between the oil and coolant FIRST. At that point you will know if you need an oil cooler and and EGR delete together. Before you do any teardown you will need to flush the crud from the OEM coolant out of your system. If you want an EGR delete go for it, the simple fix for your problem maybe that your EGR valve just needs to be cleaned (15 min job) Being a 2005 you will need to add an updated STC fitting to your list of mods if you are going to pay to have someone tear it that far down. When the $60.00 STC fitting goes away on an 05 it WILL leave you on the side of the road.

Read the links below and go from there.

btw___ WELCOME TO THE .ORG

Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

6.0 Maintanence Info - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

STC fitting install

Last edited by HAM_RADIO_MAN; 07-07-2011 at 05:26 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:27 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAM_RADIO_MAN View Post
You need to check your delta between the oil and coolant FIRST. At that point you will know if you need an oil cooler and and EGR delete together. Before you do any teardown you will need to flush the crud from the OEM coolant out of your system. Read the links below and go from there.

btw___ WELCOME TO THE .ORG

Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

6.0 Maintanence Info - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Couldn't agree with him more. Flush the crud out, replace the oil cooler and replace the coolant with a CAT EC-1 rated coolant as part of the package. If you have the tools/space/time to do this yourself, I have all the needed links in my signature line. It might take you a full day of flushing and a full day to replace the oil cooler and install the EGR cooler delete.
There is no garage that will flush your cooling system like you will.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:37 PM

DTS Articles - 6.0L EGR Valve Cleaning

EGR valve cleaning like for your pleasure.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:08 PM
Long Member

I was quoted $600 labor only for the EGR delete and oil cooler install.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:09 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMAG6.0 View Post
I was quoted $600 labor only for the EGR delete and oil cooler install.
That is about right.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:17 AM
Powerstroke Techie

By the book it's right around 6-8 hours to do a oil cooler and egr delete, so $600 for labor isn't bad depending on the labor rate. But if I understand jd811 he isn't doing the oil cooler. I'm assuming their just going to check oil cooler efficiency and then do an EGR delete and chip if it all looks good?

We usually charge about 900 to do the EGR delete. That's $350 for the EGR delete, intake/turbo mounting gaskets, then $450 labor for the delete kit and pulling the turbo apart and cleaning. I like doing the turbo when I have it off since I'm so close. All depends on how it ran before and how much carbon buildup I see in the intake.

Doing a EGR delete without doing the oil cooler is actually much easier seeing as you don't actually have to fully remove the intake manifold. You can leave your oil/fuel filter canister and all the engine wiring harnesses in place.

$450 is a little high on the chip. I'm sure their just getting the SCT SF3 chip, and they usually go for around 400. That's what we charge and we're getting them for $350.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I got quoted 650 parts and labor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.