long cranking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
long cranking

Ok, guys I have an 04.5 f350, seams to be having a long crank before starting lattly but not always no codes present only thing done to it is turbo back and IDP street tune. Where should I start?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 04:57 PM

Check fuel pressure?
Old 07-06-2011, 05:19 PM

Check batteries.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:19 PM

Do you have any idea what the IPR and ICP readings are when you are cranking and when it starts. The usual cause of crank times getting longer with time is a high-pressure oil leak. Is your ICP sensor on the valve cover? What year does the sticker on the valve cover say your engine is? If you have a 2005 engine I would think you need to plan on updating your STC fitting ASAP. If you have an 04 engine Start looking into standpipes and dummy plugs.
Old 07-06-2011, 05:23 PM

I was gonna ask, does this happen when its "hot", high pressure oil system would be my guess????
Old 07-06-2011, 06:01 PM

ICP sensor is on valve cover, dose not seam to do when hot, sticker if I rember right was around 7/04 or 8/04, what are standpipes and dummy plugs ? is there a way to check them? also dose not smoke on start and has 86k on the clock
Old 07-06-2011, 06:09 PM

There should be a sticker on the right valve cover that tell you what year your engine is. Standpipes and Dummy plugs are oil transportation tubes that are in the oil log under the valve covers. (easy fix) They have o-rings on them that go bad and cause high pressure oil leaks. If your engine is 2004 you most likly don't have an STC fitting on your HPOP and an O5 and up do. Do you have anyway to get ICP and IRP data. ScanGauage2 or Edge insight or other scan tool. If you are calling for a high percentage of IRP and have Low ICP then you migh have a leak. An easy test is to unplug your ICP sensor and see if it starts normaly. The PCM wants to see 500PSI of ICP before it will allow start up. With the ICP is unpluged it uses a default value and allows start up right away. Is there any damage to the ICP sensor or pig tail. Oil on or in the pig tail is a dead give away that the sensor has issues.

Last edited by HAM_RADIO_MAN; 07-06-2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:51 AM

For the OP, I have the same problem, but my question for you is, does it seem to start almost normal when hot? Thats what mine does, only when its a first (cold) start does this happen. It also doesn't do it all the time, probably about 75% of my cold starts are like this.

I have the insight and monitoring ICP while cranking and hit 50psi right away then it jumps to 500 and starts after say about a second or 2 (longer than normal). I also know the insight monitors ICP voltage and ICP, does it monitor IPR?
Old 07-07-2011, 06:22 AM
Premium Member

How long does it take for the oil pressure guage to come up on the dash? Might be something as simple as the wrong oil filter or filter cap. I have seen tall caps with short filters cause the housing to drain then it can take a few seconds to fill the filter housing and get oil pressure.
Old 07-07-2011, 06:43 PM

I cant figure out how to qoute more than one person so this might seem off the wal little

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAM_RADIO_MAN View Post
There should be a sticker on the right valve cover that tell you what year your engine is. Standpipes and Dummy plugs are oil transportation tubes that are in the oil log under the valve covers. (easy fix) They have o-rings on them that go bad and cause high pressure oil leaks. If your engine is 2004 you most likly don't have an STC fitting on your HPOP and an O5 and up do. Do you have anyway to get ICP and IRP data. ScanGauage2 or Edge insight or other scan tool. If you are calling for a high percentage of IRP and have Low ICP then you migh have a leak. An easy test is to unplug your ICP sensor and see if it starts normaly. The PCM wants to see 500PSI of ICP before it will allow start up. With the ICP is unpluged it uses a default value and allows start up right away. Is there any damage to the ICP sensor or pig tail. Oil on or in the pig tail is a dead give away that the sensor has issues.
checked sticker today its an 04 I will have to see if my snap on scan tool will read them.

For the OP, I have the same problem, but my question for you is, does it seem to start almost normal when hot? Thats what mine does, only when its a first (cold) start does this happen. It also doesn't do it all the time, probably about 75% of my cold starts are like this.

yes mine is the same as yours, can leave it overnight and have long crank, can leave it sit for a week and starts right up also.

How long does it take for the oil pressure guage to come up on the dash? Might be something as simple as the wrong oil filter or filter cap. I have seen tall caps with short filters cause the housing to drain then it can take a few seconds to fill the filter housing and get oil pressure

I will have to watch guage in the morn, it has all ford filters in it

Last edited by str8wkd; 07-07-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.