Warranty Politics - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 12:16 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Warranty Politics

New member here. I may be closing a deal on my first truck this week. 04 cc psd 4x4 for 24k$ out the door w 3yr/36k mi estate warranty w 97k mi, dark red. is this a good deal? i have been doing extensive research and conclude my only performance mods would be full exhaust and sct tuner. is it possible to go back to stock before going in for service without them knowing? ive heard chevy's ecu logs everything so you cant do anything to it without getting caught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2011, 01:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I don't believe the SCT leaves a footprint in the ECU. Some tuners do, some do not.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead24 View Post
New member here. I may be closing a deal on my first truck this week. 04 cc psd 4x4 for 24k$ out the door w 3yr/36k mi estate warranty w 97k mi, dark red. is this a good deal? i have been doing extensive research and conclude my only performance mods would be full exhaust and sct tuner. is it possible to go back to stock before going in for service without them knowing? ive heard chevy's ecu logs everything so you cant do anything to it without getting caught.

I think that price is kinda steep for an '04.

John
Old 07-06-2011, 04:30 AM

Yeah even with the warranty (which is about $2k of that price) it's over priced for the mileage on it. If it comes with a bumper to bumper I'd say keep the warranty on it but the price of the truck is about $5k over where it should be.

I picked my 2006 King Ranch up with 101k on the odo for about $5k less than that out the door.

Just keep emphasising to them that the diesel market is down, gas prices, blah blah and it's just not worth $24k for an 04 with 97k on the odo.

Not knowing what trim package you're looking at or where you are in the country I ran some numbers for my area on a Lariat with that kind of mileage and in absolute excellent condition (like not a single dent or scratch on the entire truck, no stains, nothing) the truck retails for $24k. In no way, shape or form should anyone EVER pay retail at a dealership.

Please tell me you didn't do that stupid 4 square crap they're trying to use now just making you focus on the monthly payment? ALWAYS talk the price of the truck first, and nothing but, not financing, trade in or money down. Talk price of the truck, THEN show the rest of your hand but only one step at a time.
Old 07-06-2011, 06:37 AM
Premium Member

PAy real close attention to the warranty and what it covers. Alot of the warrantys do not cover oil coolers or egr coolers. Also had a warranty company that denied a claim and voided the warranty on a truck that had aftermarket exhaust.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidsniper View Post
Yeah even with the warranty (which is about $2k of that price) it's over priced for the mileage on it. If it comes with a bumper to bumper I'd say keep the warranty on it but the price of the truck is about $5k over where it should be.

I picked my 2006 King Ranch up with 101k on the odo for about $5k less than that out the door.

Just keep emphasising to them that the diesel market is down, gas prices, blah blah and it's just not worth $24k for an 04 with 97k on the odo.

Not knowing what trim package you're looking at or where you are in the country I ran some numbers for my area on a Lariat with that kind of mileage and in absolute excellent condition (like not a single dent or scratch on the entire truck, no stains, nothing) the truck retails for $24k. In no way, shape or form should anyone EVER pay retail at a dealership.

Please tell me you didn't do that stupid 4 square crap they're trying to use now just making you focus on the monthly payment? ALWAYS talk the price of the truck first, and nothing but, not financing, trade in or money down. Talk price of the truck, THEN show the rest of your hand but only one step at a time.
It is a lariat and ur correct on the blue book for my area. it does have 2 door dings that i can use for leverage. the truck was financed at 20,985$... and then theres 1700 tax plus warranty and fees... i will also see if the egr cooler and oil cooler are covered.
should i hold out for a king ranch? what are the main differences? i was planning on converting to an all black 08 leather interior anyways...
Old 07-06-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorhead24 View Post
It is a lariat and ur correct on the blue book for my area. it does have 2 door dings that i can use for leverage. the truck was financed at 20,985$... and then theres 1700 tax plus warranty and fees... i will also see if the egr cooler and oil cooler are covered.
should i hold out for a king ranch? what are the main differences? i was planning on converting to an all black 08 leather interior anyways...
The only real difference in the King Ranch vs the Lariat is the leather and badging. I personally love the saddle leather of the King Ranch's which is why I went that route. If you're planning on replacing the interior with an 08 black leather interior then it really doesn't matter which one you get. Otherwise, the KR and Lariat both came with the FX4, upfitter switches, brake booster, etc, etc, the only real difference is the leather itself and the badging.

Definitely check to see specifically what the warranty covers. Here's a general list that you should make sure are included:

Injectors
Head Gaskets
EGR Valve
EGR Cooler
Oil Cooler
FICM
PCM
Glow Plug harness and control module
Water Pump
Power Steering Pump
Turbo

Those are the big ticket "will go wrong" items on the 6.0's that may or may not cause you problems over the years. If you're wanting to go with an aftermarket straight pipe exhaust or any type of tuner that will more than likely void your warranty so it's something to take into consideration as well.

If not all of those are covered (head gaskets, injectors, FICM, Oil Cooler and EGR cooler specifically) I'd lean towards not getting the warranty as those are the most prone items that'll set you back financially.

Look at it this way you can replace the head studs, head gaskets, EGR delete, stand pipes, exhaust, etc, etc, etc to basically make the truck as bulletproof as possible for anywhere from $5k - $8k (parts quality depending) so if you're already going to drop $2,500ish on a warranty it may be worth it to forgo the warranty and just drop the cash to bulletproof it yourself (which some of the bulletproof items can void your warranty).

Some people like the piece of mind that a warranty comes with, but if it doesn't cover the major components that are prone to problems then it's just a waste of money.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:05 PM

There is a 2007 Kings Ranch CC for sale on craigslist for 23K with 89K
Old 07-06-2011, 02:13 PM

Keep the stock tune in the truck, get rid of the EGR system if they will let you. When warranty is up do a coolant flush on it. Get rid of the exhaust, lotta places wont touch it if you mess with the exhaust, oil problem you gotta have a stock MC filter, same with the fuel side. Why push more boost out of a truck that is known for crappy head bolts.

The data recorder in the truck will know a tuner was on it, There will be a gap in the data recorder even if you throw the stock tune back in. Unless you keep driving it so all the "sensor checks" the OBD will do, then you could take it in.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:56 PM

too much money....I paid 14k for my 03...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.