Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

T6 switch

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  0760rmu927 
#1 ·
So this weekend, with the helping hand of Galaxie, I made the switch to Rotella T6 and love it so far. No smoke on start up and it even seems to be a bit easier to start. Changed the filter too! While in there we did some cleaning, used Purple power and some Tire Foam, looks pretty good...here is the before and after:

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah that stuff was nasty coming out too. I ran it for about 5k after the studs were done. ELC is coming in the future!

#4 ·
How the h@ll did you get the engine bay so clean. I would love to do that but am a litle scared of getting something that should not get wet, wet and then have problems I cannot fix.

#19 ·
I was a little nervous too so we covered a few things with plastic grocery bags: alternator, spout for power steering fluid (there's a small pin hole that looked like it could let some stuff in that isn't wanted on the cap), then there were 2 electric boxes in the back drivers corner that looked too important not to cover (they were hand cleaned I believe). first thing we did was make sure the engine temps were very low, they were around 110ish (it was a hot day). We first did a light spray mist with water, then sprayed the purple power, covered it but didn't flood it. Let that set 5 minutes and sprayed off with hose, again light misting. Let that set and dry a bit then sprayed on a tire foam to give that shine. Overall it only took about 20 minutes and a beer for each of us! :thumb:
Hope that eases your concern!

#6 ·
I've been looking to make this switch very soon but I am concerned. The manual says to use 15W-40 when over 90. Here in VA it gets in the low 100's at times. Would this 5W-40 still be fine? What about towing, I have a 15K lb. trailer that normally gets hauled about 200-300 miles; this happens about 4-5 times in the summer.
Would this void the warranty left on the engine if something was to happen?

Thanks,

#10 · (Edited)
Wallmart sells purple power.

40w is 40w. there is no difference between the 40w viscosity with 15w-40 and 5w-40

the first number is the viscosity when the oil is colder, the second number is the visocisty when it is hot.

the ending number is what matters for the engine, not the first.

If ^^^ does not help, we can all use any kind of 40w diesel oil. XXw-40

#8 ·
where can you get purple power at? I have been wanting to clean my engine bay.

#12 ·
Not at all. They would have to prove that the oil caused whatever failure occurred. And since the oil you are using exceeds the specs they set, that's not going to happen.

#15 ·
+1 for the Rev-X. Made a world 'o' difference in my 6.0.

#16 ·
+1 For T6 and Rev-X. Put that combo in on Saturday and I got to say the truck from the get go starts and idles a lot smoother than it did before. Definitely made a believer out of me!

#17 ·
Recently went from T5 to T6. Great stuff really, my truck was running quite a bit better but I had some sort of injector problem, ran like crap until it warmed up. I never believe in these miracle oils/additives but I gave the Rev-X a shot and my god did it work. With the T6 and Rev-X my truck is running better than ever.

#18 ·
I ran T-5 with Rev-X for 5K miles, my engine improved dramatically over 15W-40, then I switched to T-6 same happy story, my engine runs awesome. Better throttle response cold, quicker starts cold and hot, like a different engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.