Basic 6.0 Mods? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Basic 6.0 Mods?

I am in the process of making a nice sleeper 6.0 I guess I have 4 inch exhaust with nothing. And was looking for mods to accomidate: I know of tuners and stuff but was wondering about like intake elbow downpipe I basically want every bolt on I guess thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2011, 10:41 AM
The Silent Service

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You won't see anything with just the intake elbow down, that would justify the expense.

The exhaust and custom SCT tunes will make you think you have a new truck. With the 6.0L you need to get a monitor, or a set of gauges, and keep an eye on everything. This will prevent costly repairs down the road.

If you're looking for bolt-on power, here's where I'd start:
Monitor/Guages: Edge Insight CS/CTS with expansions covers a lot of good info for the cost. You want to monitor EGT, ECT/EOT, Boost, and Fuel Pressure at a minimum.
Air Fitler: Stock air box is good for 500HP, want more air go with the S&B CAI.
Exhaust: Turbo-back 4" stainless, deletions of CAT/Muffler, per local regs.
Tuning: Custom tuned SCT, running either Eric's (IDP) or Matt's (GH) tunes.
Turbo: Powermax Stage 1, will support builds upto 500HP with injectors (this turbo will support 190's for a short period of time, but really shines with a set of 175's -play- or 155's -if you tow alot0-).
Injectors: Ryan Casserly makes the best 6.0L injectors out there. Depending on what power level you're looking at (155's ~ 480HP, 175's ~ 520, 190's ~550 HP)
Intercooler: Banks makes a good unit for the price, but its not needed unless you're having issues with EGT's. (This is also the only peice of Banks hardware I recommend on the 6.0L)
Transmission: If you're going big, drop the money and get a built 5R110 for a good shop.

Building a set up with 190's you'll want a built Transmission, the stock unit won't hold up long, and a Stage 2 VGT turbocharger.

You'll want to read up and get into the 6.0L if you're going to mod it, this is a very basic rundown of the common knowledge.

Last edited by colo_dually; 07-03-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the real thourough rundown on everything.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:45 AM
IU Hoosier Fan

how nice of a sleeper are you trying to get power wise?
Old 07-03-2011, 04:42 PM

I would just like to have a duramax killer I guess. I never haul anything anyway
Old 07-03-2011, 06:28 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
250cc injectors, tranny, compound turbos, Airdog 2, live tuning. Should give you the ability to keep up with a dmax. I'm kidding, that setup would outrun about anything.

colo hit the nail on the head. Use his advice with a limitless amount of research and you will have a killer on your hands. Btw, guages are most important. Get to know your motor before anything. I will add, get the undated fuel pressure regulator spring, and the 6.4 banjo bolts.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:09 PM
The Silent Service

If you're just looking to toast Dmax's, you can probably get away with the 175's and the Powermax. One of the best builds, cost to benefit wise, crossing into the realm of injectors. 190's really require a Stage 2 turbo, and more supporting mods, and Transmission starts to require attention.

Real trick with the Dmax is the PSD requires a bit of work to overcome the fact the Dmax is alot lighter and has a 6sp transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.