Problems please help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Problems please help!

Hello,To everyone at Powerstroke.org.

I have an issue with my 2005 F-350 as of late. It is a 2005 F-350 crew cab short box 4x4 with the 6.0 powerstroke and auto trans. My truck has only 90,000 kms on it.

The truck has been completely stock other than a 8" BDS lift and 38" Tires and other cosmetic changes.

I just purchased a Afe Stage 2 cold air intake (blue pre oiled filter), 5" Flo Pro turbo back exhaust with cat delete, and a Edge CTS tuner.

Problem #1 I just put on the Cold air intake and the Tuner at stock setting into the truck. When I started the truck I noticed kind of a louder ticking noise (almost knocking sound) coming from the intake elbow area and it lasted for a couple mins. Before I installed the system I checked all the piping to make sure nothing was inside there that would to go into the engine. However I never checked inside the new filter before I installed it in the intake system I wouldn't think that Afe would put anything (package, bolts, stickers, etc) inside there filter that you would have to take out before you install or it would go through the system into the engine would they? Sound is gone now and like I said it only lasted for a couple mins that evening that I installed it. However on to problem # 2

Problem #2 I have also noticed since I installed the turbo back exhaust the day after the Intake and Tuner that my truck has been smoking for the last few days now. I now have the Tuner on setting 1 (transmission only) I notice a bluish looking smoke that comes out of the exhaust pipe at idle not a ton but not a small amount either. Sometimes it will puff out alot and then go away for a couple seconds and them back again. It does it at cold start up and also when the truck has reached 180's EOT and ECT. When I stomp on it while driving it will puff a small amount of black looking smoke.

My big concern is that something went through the intake into the engine and I #$%&ed it up and that is why she is smoking blue now. I dont even know if that is even possible. What signs would you have if something did go through the intake and into the engine itself?

P.S. Truck runs beautiful other wise. No knocking or misfiring of any kind that I can hear. Also on the Tuner, I have checked for DTC and there is none.

P.S. I also have a fair bit of oily stuff on the pipe that comes off the turbo that connects to the intercooler. (The oily stuff is on and around rubber area closest to intercooler, no oily stuff on rubber near the turbo). The oily stuff has been there for quite a while way before these mods. Other wise the truck has no leaks.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, look forward to hearing from some of you. Derek
scorpion111180 is offline Reply With Quote
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 10:52 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I dont know about AFE but I know with a couple K&N systems I bought they threw the stickers in the filter of the cone. If it makes you feel better I would clean the turbo and see. Then if you didnt find anything you know and your turbo is cleaned anyway.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:22 AM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion111180 View Post
Problem #2 I have also noticed since I installed the turbo back exhaust the day after the Intake and Tuner that my truck has been smoking for the last few days now. I now have the Tuner on setting 1 (transmission only) I notice a bluish looking smoke that comes out of the exhaust pipe at idle not a ton but not a small amount either. Sometimes it will puff out alot and then go away for a couple seconds and them back again. It does it at cold start up and also when the truck has reached 180's EOT and ECT. When I stomp on it while driving it will puff a small amount of black looking smoke.

My big concern is that something went through the intake into the engine and I #$%&ed it up and that is why she is smoking blue now. I dont even know if that is even possible. What signs would you have if something did go through the intake and into the engine itself?

P.S. Truck runs beautiful other wise. No knocking or misfiring of any kind that I can hear. Also on the Tuner, I have checked for DTC and there is none.

P.S. I also have a fair bit of oily stuff on the pipe that comes off the turbo that connects to the intercooler. (The oily stuff is on and around rubber area closest to intercooler, no oily stuff on rubber near the turbo). The oily stuff has been there for quite a while way before these mods. Other wise the truck has no leaks.
I am thinking that the smoke you are seeing is normal considering you put a new exhaust on the truck. Its burning off the oil on the system. Probably go away in a few days.
As far as sucking something through the engine, if it was paper, it was likely ingested/shredded/burned and expelled. Too late now. Would it do any significant damage? Probably not. It isn't something you want to do on purpose, but it probably didn't do anything to the engine except create a more than usual amount of ash. This ash can contaminate the oil, so don't extend this oil change. Stick to the 5,000 mile Oil change.
That oily mess you see in the intake tubes is from the crankcase breather that is installed just previous to the turbo on the filter side.
Doing a CCV reroute will stop any further oil from building up and being ingested by your engine. There are many ways to reroute the CCV. One way is to purchase a kit and use the parts supplied to route the hose to a catch -can. The catch-can catches the oil and the crankcase gases are then routed back to the stock location in the intake tube so that you don't smell it.
Another route is to pull the tube going to the ccv right out of the intake tube. Seal that hole using an expanding rubber plug (available at most hardware stores), attaching a hose to the elbow and routing a hose to the ground. The single most important thing when doing this is to ensure that the hose does not dip down, then go back up. There MUST be a downward slope the whole way. If there is a dip, moisture can collect in the dip and choke off the venting. Choke of the vent and you turned your engine into a 14 quart oil fountain. This is a VERY simple mod that will keep your intake air much cleaner.
For what it is worth, my CCV is just a hose and dumps right under the truck right behind the drivers side front tire. Some people say that they can smell the crankcase gases. I say that is what a diesel truck is supposed to smell like.
If you can't take it, buy the CCV kit sold by Stealth Automotive, it will come with everything you need. Stay off e-bay looking for these kits. If they are not designed properly, serious engine damage can occur.
Just so you know, I am not in any way affiliated with Stealth Automotive.
The CCV kit sold by them is the first and best CCV system out there, or I wouldn't recommend it.
The Ad you see in my signature line is for a contest I have entered on this forum and does not indicate an affiliation.

Last edited by NYC F-350; 07-03-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.