Just an Honest question, River City Diesel, or Bullet Proof Diesel. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 07:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just an Honest question, River City Diesel, or Bullet Proof Diesel.

I bought an 04 PSD (145,00 miles) in December. Truck runs great after a new Swamps 58V FICM.

Oasis report is clean,

The truck will be drivin 5-10k a year, pulling nothing.

Would you go RCD and spend the $500 or go all out and spend the $2195 and Bullet Proof it?

Also what kind of programmers would you recommend?

I am wanting to have my mechanic start this project in the next month or so, and I appreciate all comments? I have just seen where some OEM Ford Coolers fail so maybe I better just go with the BPD kit and be done with it.

Thanks in advance!!

Ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 07:13 PM
information regurgitator

If you never ever want to worry about your oil cooler clogging, your engine oil temperature or a complete oil cooler failure, go bulletproof. Hands down the best system out there.
As far as the EGR delete, if you don't have emissions testing and there is little chance that it will be added for diesel trucks in this weight range, get the RCD ($160.00) egr delete and install that.
Those two things will take a ton of worry off your shoulders.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:52 PM

Thanks a bunch! No emmisions in Kansas
Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 PM
information regurgitator

I am biased, since I have the BPD system (and 1/2 of the RCD delete). By the way, if you get snow at all, or it gets cold enough for snow...get the cold weather kit. It helps warm the oil up in the cold.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
I am biased, since I have the BPD system (and 1/2 of the RCD delete). By the way, if you get snow at all, or it gets cold enough for snow...get the cold weather kit. It helps warm the oil up in the cold.
Yup we get lots a snow
Old 07-03-2011, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Without question the BPD remote oil cooler is the definitive solution to the problem. If you can afford it it puts the oil cooler issue behind you once and for all. Include the cold weather kit as well. I am not fond of RCD and won't buy anything from them. You can get a egr delete from eBay for $150.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:32 PM

To the experts on the thread here, what would the major advantage be of a delete kit such as FirstCoastDieselPerformance.com -- Your Source For Powerstroke Performance (modified manifold) over the BPD delete kit?

Also, I was talking to a mechanic from a local diesel performance shop. I asked about a cold weather kit, such as BPD's, and he advised me not to get it. Im in central alberta and it gets flippin cold in winter, so why would he be against it? Is there any adverse effects in summertime? He also advised againt a BPD external oil cooler. Again I am stumped as to why?
Old 07-03-2011, 04:57 PM
information regurgitator

Sounds like it is time for you to find a new mechanic since that one seems to have misplaced his clue.

By removing the liquid/liquid stock oil cooler and installing an air/liquid oil cooler, you GAIN everywhere. You no longer have a chance at having the coolant passages clog up. The oil cooler won't explode like the stock unit can. You get better oil filtering.

This is a very rare mod. You win in every area. Most mods you gain something and lose something.
If you do not get the cold weather kit, your oil will never reach operating temperature in that cold of an environment. The cold weather kit has an integral thermostat that opens at 180F. It also is designed to not just fly open and toss hot oil into a colder engine. Meaning that there is no hot or cold shock to the engine. The oil warms up by bypassing the cooler and going straight back into the engine, but that doesn't mean that there is a cooler full of cold oil waiting for the thermostat to open. That would cause cold shock and would cause some serious issues. The oil, while bypassing the cooler, some of it does flow through the cooler so that all the oil is warmed evenly. When the cooler is needed to regulate the oil temp, then the thermostat opens.
You have nothing to worry about in the heat of the summer. This system was designed in the heat of Arizona. I have one and sit in New York City traffic daily. The ambient temps have been above 100F and the max temperature I have ever seen my oil reach is a touch over 200F. To say I am impressed with this system is an understatement.
Find a mechanic that has a clue and knows what he is talking about.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC F-350 View Post
Sounds like it is time for you to find a new mechanic since that one seems to have misplaced his clue.
Tell me about it! It completley threw my understanding of everything I had learned from this forum. I had only been reading the forum for a few weeks at the time so I really didn't know what to believe at that point. But I would take your word over anyone elses on this matter Now to start saving for the fully bulletproof system....

Any input on the FCDP version of the egr delete vs BPD's?
Old 07-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I agree with NYC. You need to stay far away from that mechanic and never let him near your truck. In your area if you do the BPD oil cooler you definitely need the cold weather kit or your oil will never get up to temp. That would be very bad for your truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.