Decision on new tires - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Decision on new tires

I replaced my OEM Generals (I think) 275/70R18 to Toyo Open Country AT 285/75R18. Worked out great Nice tire. Now I am looking for another. I was looking M/t's. Either Toyo, Goodyear or even BFGoorich. How do there wear on dry pavement. Not too concerned about the noise level. I do about 40% highway, 40% city and about 20 everything else. We do get a bit of snow in the winter in Canada, so there is that too.
I would have liked to go with someting a bit bigger but with my OEM rim measureing 8in, I am limited with size. If anyone has other recomendations please do tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 08:09 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm running these tires, and have found them to be awesome in ALL conditions

Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 tires listed by size
Old 07-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Another tire is the BFGoodrich All Terrain TA-KO 3015/65R18. I wanted something that would fill the wheel well better but with 8inch in the rim I am limited..
Old 07-02-2011, 11:17 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I'm running 325/70r18's and my wheel wells are full. Wheels are 18-8.5

I was steered away from the BFG's and the Hankooks were the option they gave me. I think they're great tires
Old 07-02-2011, 11:18 AM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Can't go wrong twith the TOYO M/T's IMO. Excellent wear on the road, excellent in snow and off-road.
Pricey, but you get an excellent tire for the $$
Old 07-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
I have also heard not to go with the BFG's. I have the Toyo M/t's and I will never go with another tire. These things seem to do pretty good in everything I have ran them in so far. Only thing I havent been in yet is snow. The noise isnt bad at all and I am running 37x13.5x20. The wear on these things are awesome. I would say 50k out of them is the norm as long as you keep them rotated and properly aired.

I used to run Nitto terragrapplers and they were nice on flat roads but wore EXTREMELY quick and uneven.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've had two sets of Toyo Open Country M/Ts and will never go with another mud terrain tire again. I had the 33-12.50-18 the first time, and went with the 285-75-18 the second time I bought tires. I went with the 285 the second time because I liked the skinnier tire in the snow, but they were roughly 2 inches taller than the 33. They wear great, but that was on my F-150. I am considering the Toyo A/T for my F-350 now. It has had the stock tire size on it, but I think that I wanna go with the 285-75-18. Does the 285-75 fit good with no suspension mods?
Old 07-03-2011, 06:09 AM
Let's go B's!!!!

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
I rotated and balanced my Toyo's EVERY 5-7K and I have 73,000 miles on them and they will still pass inspection

For some reason people don't believe it, but it's true It's an insane amount of miles for a mud tire that never goes off road.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:22 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headviking View Post
I replaced my OEM Generals (I think) 275/70R18 to Toyo Open Country AT 285/75R18. Worked out great Nice tire. Now I am looking for another. I was looking M/t's. Either Toyo, Goodyear or even BFGoorich. How do there wear on dry pavement. Not too concerned about the noise level. I do about 40% highway, 40% city and about 20 everything else. We do get a bit of snow in the winter in Canada, so there is that too.
I would have liked to go with someting a bit bigger but with my OEM rim measureing 8in, I am limited with size. If anyone has other recomendations please do tell.
I've had Toyo MTs for about a year and a half now (275/65/20) and have about 12K miles on them. Cant beat this tire if you need a good traction tire with a high load capacity (3,750 LBs each at 80 psi in this size). I'm mostly on pavement and about 8 to 10 weekends a year haul a Lance camper on the back weighing ~3,500 LBS. When the camper is on is when the truck goes off-road in the Sierra's (dirt and rock trails and forest roads). I've had the truck in the snow without the camper and the Toyo MTs did fine once my ESOF hubs decided to lock in. I had my tires siped when new as I heard previous accounts of the Toyo MTs not doing so well in snow, ice, or very wet roads. I just rotated them yesterday for the 3rd time.

I haven't had a problem with these tires and they carry a heavy lead very well. At 80 PSI (with the camper) and with rear airbags at 95 psi, the tires handle it well. They also handle well on pavement considering the aggressive tread pattern.

There are only two downsides with the tire that I see thus far:
1) Noise. It's a mud tire so don't expect it to be quiet on the pavement. I didn't expect them to be quiet so I'm not disappointed in my selection.

2) Wear. At ~13K miles it looks like my tires are about 13/32 remaining (68% of the original 19/32). Not bad. It may be that the siping and heavy camper are contributing factors. My motor is stock and I don't do burnouts, so those issues are not a factor.

Hope this helps.

Would I purchase the Toyo MTs again, yes.

Last edited by skanj0; 08-28-2011 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Edited to correct remaining tread amount
Old 07-03-2011, 07:35 AM
Premium Member

i put some dura tracs on in january love them great ride wear low noise aggrressive look
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.