Which Airbag Kit? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Which Airbag Kit?

Hey guys,

I have a leveling kit on my truck with 33x13's. When I haul my horse trailer (which weighs about 12k pounds loaded) it tends to sag quite a bit, and whenever going over a big bump at 70 MPH, it bounces like crazy and makes it a little harder to control.

So I need some AirBags, ASAP. Which kit do you guys reccomend? Links are welcomed, so I can just click and buy.

Or if anyone has a good used set, I'll take them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2011, 07:51 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Blake,
I went with the Firestone Ride Rite kit for use with towing my 12k lb toy hauler. It made a world of difference and leveled out my ride. You can get a basic kit for right around $300 with the fancy kit (with a gauge and compressor) for around $600. With simple hand tools, you can do the install yourself.

Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Blake,
I went with the Firestone Ride Rite kit for use with towing my 12k lb toy hauler. It made a world of difference and leveled out my ride. You can get a basic kit for right around $300 with the fancy kit (with a gauge and compressor) for around $600. With simple hand tools, you can do the install yourself.

Shawn, that looks awesome!! That's exactly what I'm looking for. Where did you get your kit, and how hard was the install? Did you have to remove any parts, or did you just slide it in?

Also, what PSI do you keep your bags at while towing, and then when just cruising around town unloaded?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:02 AM
Slacker

Installation was simple with the ONLY exception being that my 5th wheel brackets were full frame brackets, so I had to get the ones you see above. It literally takes just a few hours in the driveway with a floor jack and some hand tools. The hardest part was feeling comfortable with dis assembly of the rear suspension, but I have since done it several times, replaced the rear leafs, added the Velvet Ride shackles, etc.

PS. I should have mentioned that I got my kit from a local vendor since there weren't any ORG sponsors who sold those kits at the time. I'm still not sure if any of the sponsors sell them.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Unapologetically American

So that frame mount goes across the top of the frame to connect the two airbag mounts?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Premium Member

Awesome! What are the Velvet Ride Shackles? And did you just replace the rear leafs with stock ones? Mine probably need replacing.

And what about PSI in the bags? What do you run while towing, and what do you run while cruising?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:16 AM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
So that frame mount goes across the top of the frame to connect the two airbag mounts?
Not sure I understand the question, bud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
Awesome! What are the Velvet Ride Shackles? And did you just replace the rear leafs with stock ones? Mine probably need replacing.

And what about PSI in the bags? What do you run while towing, and what do you run while cruising?
Velvet ride's replace the stock shackles and have a rubberized insert to help cushion the leafs. I didn't notice any improvement with them... Yes, my old leafs were tweaked pretty bad and was likely due to towing without my bags for the first year or so. It's a 250, so it doesn't have the overloads like the 350's do. I just replaced them with some take offs that a buddy of mine had.

I run 0psi in them when I'm not towing and 85psi when I am towing a full load. 65psi when I'm just picking up the trailer from the storage yard.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:

Velvet ride's replace the stock shackles and have a rubberized insert to help cushion the leafs. I didn't notice any improvement with them... Yes, my old leafs were tweaked pretty bad and was likely due to towing without my bags for the first year or so. It's a 250, so it doesn't have the overloads like the 350's do. I just replaced them with some take offs that a buddy of mine had.

I run 0psi in them when I'm not towing and 85psi when I am towing a full load. 65psi when I'm just picking up the trailer from the storage yard.

LOL, I've been hauling without airbags for about.... Hmmm... Seven years...

But thanks for all your help Shawn, I just sent Adam at FCDP a message on Facebook to see if he could hook me up with a Firestone kit!
Old 07-02-2011, 08:23 AM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
LOL, I've been hauling without airbags for about.... Hmmm... Seven years...

But thanks for all your help Shawn, I just sent Adam at FCDP a message on Facebook to see if he could hook me up with a Firestone kit!
No worries, my friend. I'm sure you will like them. Who knows, your leafs may be perfect, but mine weren't. They literally looked like they were oversprung coupled with BAD axle wrap. I didn't notice any changes when I went to the new leafs, BUT I felt MUCH better knowing they weren't seriously deformed.

BTW, I still have them in the side yard... Does anybody need some rear leafs??? Just kidding. I need to get them to the scrap metal yard, but that can wait until winter when it is cooler than 117*.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:30 AM
Unapologetically American

Quote:
Are the airbag mounts bolted directly to the frame, or is there some sort of brace between them? It just looked like that might be the case from the pics you posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.