Bone stock F250 - Step One: Improve MPG Starting TODAY! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bone stock F250 - Step One: Improve MPG Starting TODAY!

So I've posted in a few other threads about getting the yellow coolant out and putting in the ELC, changing the oil and other fluids, and getting a good baseline on my 2005 F250 6.0. So far so good - temps between ECT and EOT are usually about 9 degrees apart - less than 15 overall so I'm holding off on messing with the EGR.

Today's average MPG: 14.6 on the freeway towing nothing/12.0 or less around town - seems pathetic...but I've moved from sea level (TX) to about 7000 above sea level (with much less humidity, which actually increases this number). I pulled the OASIS and see that a 2006 recall was done where they reprogrammed some aspect of emissions and there's a lot of complaints out there about that having a negative effect on MPG.

So with all of that in hand, I took the truck into the dealer in Clearfield and we're going to let them update all of the code. He also mentioned that if the battery were disconnected for 10 minutes that it would reset everything and the truck would recalibrate. So today I'm having them update all of the firmware to the latest and greatest code and I'm taking a road trip to Nevada.

I'll keep y'all posted on any changes to the MPG, power, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2011, 10:16 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

From what I understand it's actually the older programs that get the better MPGs than the new ones. Don't know first hand but that's been the general consensus from what I've been able to find.

What version are you running now? Keep us updated as to what flash you get installed and how the numbers turn out for you!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:28 AM
The Silent Service

The older flashing did have better MPG then the new. But for what its worth, the latest programming has two key preventive maintenance features. A cycling of the turbo vanes at idle, and a CEL light when at OT with a ECT/EOT delta of greater than 15*.

Did you already flush your coolant? If so, you may want to keep a keen eye on your temps, as most folks who have flushed without rebuilding the oil cooler have been back under the hood very quickly for that job. If you haven't flushed yet, I would advise waiting and allowing the delta to spread to 15* before making the switch and rebuilding/replacing both coolers. Take that time and learn everything you can, and decide which EGR cooler solution is right for you.

Nothing is going to affect MPG more than the way you drive this truck. Keep it civil and you will be fine. However, remember that the 6.0L needs to be worked to keep running. Either put it under a load, and do a few WOT runs about every other week. The reason for this is to build full boost, and fully cycle and clear the vanes in the trubo, along with clearing the EGR valve out a bit. The next thing you'll need to look into is a monitoring device, or gauges, to keep an eye on the internals.

Last edited by colo_dually; 07-01-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Did you already flush your coolant? If so, you may want to keep a keen eye on your temps, as most folks who have flushed without rebuilding the oil cooler have been back under the hood very quickly for that job. If you haven't flushed yet, I would advise waiting and allowing the delta to spread to 15* before making the switch and rebuilding/replacing both coolers. Take that time and learn everything you can, and decide which EGR cooler solution is right for you.
Yes, thanks to your sticky on bulletproofing, one of the first things I did was to replace the coolant with ELC (Zerex from NAPA, in my case). I also installed an Edge Insight and have been watching ECT/EOT and noticed the deltas are looking good right now (9* is avg). Next step there is to also get the EGT sensor installed so I can keep an eye there, too.

I've also been putting my foot into it about 3 times a week during my drive home, and then allowing everything to cool down before shutting the truck down. The excessive idling has me a little concerned but mainly from a $diesel$ perspective. So far this truck has been great!

If I can get the code revision that's put on there today, I'll post it here, along with MPG findings. I have a feeling that I might not see significant MPG improvements until I take the EGR out of the picture and maybe get a tuner.

**P.S. - Nice Porpoises by the way - my first CTT instructor at Corry Station was on subs for over six years before he and I crossed paths...a long, long time ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.