Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Things I need to replace Oil cooler, EGR delete, Stand pipes, Rail plugs ETC. Help!

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  NYC F-350 
#1 ·
I have a couple boxes of parts waiting to be installed into my 2004 6.0.

Oil stand pipes, Rail plugs, New injector o-rings. Then on the oil cooler half. New oil cooler, intake gaskets, egr delete, coolant filter, turbo oil feed tube and return tube.

Still have to get the 4 gallons of rotella, along with 3 gallons of ELC coolant, plus water and vc9 to flush the coolant the crap out so it doesn't mess up my new oil cooler. I should do this before the tear down right?

Trying to get a list of tools I need, thread locker, anything I need for the gaskets, anti seize, since I don't have any of my own and they will all be borrowed mostly from my dad's tools he keeps at work, gonnna hopefully start to tear it down come tomorrow. As well as tools I can borrow here from my Continental Airlines haha. :thumb:

Anything I can use for help is greatly appreciated. I have the 6.0 bible on my laptop. Just wondering if anything more in depth would help. Any threads for reference are good too.

This will be my first time actually working on my own vehicle and on top of that doing some larger fixes. Any help is greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#2 ·
#3 ·
Just finished up last night, but now I can't get the truck to turn over. Batteries where a bit low, so I charged them up. The only codes I'm blowing right now are 2 egr codes for my non existant egr. And a p0231 code.

It is cranking but not turning over. Any ideas? Too much air in my fuel lines or something?

#6 ·
Now that I didn't do. So just keep at it? Storming now. So I won't be able to mess with it for a bit.

P0231 Fuel Pump Fuel pump secondary circuit low Fuse, relay, inertia switch, fuel pump, open/short circuit. Would that by any chance cause an issue to starting her back up?

#5 ·
After posting, I went and looked up your code.
P0231: Fuel Pump Relay Driver Circuit Failure.

Check that the fuel filter housing if filling with fuel when you turn the key on. (your gonna need a helper for that one)

#9 ·
Check your fuel reset button on the passenger side kick panel. When I did my egr delete and oil cooler I filled up the reservoir and it still wouldn't pop off so I pushed the fuel reset and it fired right up.

#14 ·
Don't bother with the switch. You said that the fuel filter housing fills with fuel, so the pump is working. That switch is on the passenger side, inside the truck, down by your feet is the "kick panel." Look at the panel and you will see a section that bumps out, stick your finger in there and you will feel the reset button.

Turn it over for 20-30 seconds at a time. Crank for 20, rest for 30, crank for 20, rest for 30 until it fires. You did not prime the HPOP and will have to do that before it will start. It can take up to 3 minutes of cranking to get it to go.

#17 ·
Gotta charge my batteries, I never did that in succession. :doh:

Storm is still kicking gotta wait now.

#16 ·
No problem. That tip is in the link in my signature.
Some of those notes in that link are out of order timewise in relation to the way you would do this job. They were just my scatterbrain scribbles that I should have re-arranged in order.....

#18 ·
Any other possibilities besides priming the hpop? Won't be back to working on it until tomorrow afternoon that is if it doesn't rain. Gotta love Florida.

#19 ·
Of course there are other things it could be! BUT, unless you get a bunch of codes, nope.
If you do get a bunch of wierd codes, check the plugs on the FICM to make sure they are set and locked. I had that problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.