Trannie Issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 10:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trannie Issue

I took my truck to the shop(highly recommended truck shop) last wednesday because it was shifting a bit strange, and wouldn't shift past 3rd gear. TOW/HAUL light was flashing. At first, they said it was a bad solenoid pack, then a bad valve body. So they fixed that today($1034), and when they test drove it, the problem was still there. They called and told me they have to remove the trannie, and an overhaul costs $1300 and a replacement trannie costs $2700. They won't know what it needs till they get it apart. Anyone have any history with these issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Sounds like they're not real sure what they're doing to me. So they wasted $1034 on a missed diagnosis and now want you to trust their new diagnosis? Time to upgrade. Get a beefed up tranny from BTS and move on. Tell 'em to put the $1034 toward the new tranny.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm waiting to hear back from them. They are not inspiring confidence! I hate it when repair shops throw parts at a problem. From the recommendations I got, I didn't think I would have this problem......
Old 06-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I've found that a shop's recommendation is only about as good as the guy recommending them. Is this a shop that comes highly recommended from a reputable tuner or ford shop/mechanic?, or was this a buddy who's neighbor used them and come highly recommended from him/her?

Like pgreensvt said, its somewhat apparent they really don't know what's going on. Sounds like a swing and a miss for their diagnosis.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Also a good engine or suspension shop isn't necessarily a good tranny shop. In the future consider the type of problem and pick the appropriate repair facility. I'd have gone to a tranny shop instead of a diesel shop.

Most any shop can R&R the tranny for you. That doesn't mean they can build you a good one.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It's Broadway Ford in Saint Louis. My friend, who is a mechanic, recommended them for diesels, and a few other people have sung their praises. They work on big fords, sterlings, caterpillars, etc. I hope they get it right. I'm not paying for the original wrong diagnosis. It's not my problem that they messed up.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Got my truck back yesterday - Runs great! After the initial repair that didn't work(solenoid pack and valve body-$1034), they pulled the trannie and found the actual problem. It was the overdrive clutch piston assembly. They fixed that and they ate the cost of the previous repair. The total was $1400. They redeemed themselves! Great bunch of guys to work with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.