Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Temporary, muffler delete on stock exhaust?

13K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  smokersteve 
#1 ·
Just wondering if someone makes a muffler delete for a stock exhaust system or if anyone has a home made tip?? Thanks

#2 ·
Since the stock exhaust enters and exits the muffler staggered, there isn't one pipe anyone makes that would work. You can just cut the muffler out with a sawzall(as close to the muffler as possible), and clamp in a 2' piece of 3 1/2" flex pipe.

#3 ·
So simple bolting? no welding? and where can I get the fllexpipe? Thanks

#4 ·
Yup, no welding. Just 2 band clamps and the flex pipe.

Any big rig shop or International dealer will have it

#8 ·
Its pure diesel powers factory muffler delete.

If the OP is interested I have one I'll sell him

#7 ·
rowcoach, your link doesn't work

#9 ·
I'm a union electrician and I was in the same boat...didn't feel like dropping a bunch of cash for an exhaust right now, so i had a muffler shop buy a piece of 3.5'' pipe and i bent it myself. If you know any industrial electricians i'm sure they'd do it for ya. Steel flex is definately temporary, will rust out quick.

#11 · (Edited)
didn't feel like dropping a bunch of cash for an exhaust.
Same here.
When I got my delete pipes, the 4" systems were $300+. I did not want to spend that much when I could spend ~$100 for delete pipes that drop temps just as much as 4" does for trucks under 500hp, and have more low end TQ than 4" allows.

#12 ·
Yes it is the same size as 3.5" EMT, but i don't know of the offset right off hand; sorry.

#13 ·
mines factory pipe with cat and muffler cut out, just cut cat out right before the cat, cut the muffler out close again each side. beat the cat out of the pipe so that you can slide the fitting/ slip joint over the secton from the downpipe. then cut the notched fitting/slip joint off from the front of the muffler, then I cut the tailpipe just before the last bend of the exhaust so that I had a completly flat edge to weld to the fitting/ slip joint that came from the front of the muffler. my brother-in-laws is done the same way, but I turned my exit postion toware it shoots out the side more than his, I think it sounds better. he also drilled new holes for his hangers, I cut mine off and moved them to work in factory locatons. all in all took less than 2 hours and the only thing I would do different is pick up a couple extra feet of pipe and extend it, mine sits about 5" behind the cab

Auto part Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Vehicle Automotive tire

#14 ·
I am doing this for a tip Exhaust Tip Chrome Slash Cut 2 1/2" x 12" Mustang GT | eBay

I have one left from my old Dakota cause alady rear ended me when I had duals. Gonna cut off a 1/2 inch more all the way around the 2.5 hole cause the tip goes to 4.5 and weld it on to my stock stuff.

I have ran these things on gassers and it slows the exhaust wave down cause its such a big tip and mellows it out more. Plus I think 6 and up tips just look gay anyway. Bud has a 8'' tip coming off the rear, looks retarded IMO.

#16 ·
Sooo I'm kinda confused. If thats a 2 1/2 tip thats a real bad idea. You definitely don't want to choke a diesel exhaust any more than stock. You can't go down in size.

But you said the tip is 4 1/2"? It's ad says 2 1/2".....

Like I said, confused.
think he said he cut the back end off where it necks down to 2.5", but your also right that it is not 4.5" thought I seen it was only 3.5"

#17 ·
Yeah I just grabbed that off the web cause its similar to the pipe have from my local muffler shop. My muffler shop one goes to 4.5 inch. Those tips are weld on tips. So if I cut another 1/2 out of the circumfrence it will fit the pipe and weld on.:thumb:

#18 ·
Any problems with drone in the cab with a muffler/cat delete on the 6 liters?

I had a straight piped 7.3 for years and didn't realize how much drone it had till I put an MBRP muffler on it which basically eliminated all of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.