EGT cooling/regulating...??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 09:39 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
EGT cooling/regulating...???

I've seen hundreds of articles on the importance of monitoring EGTs with any smoker while towing, but I haven't been able to find anything definitive about how to (if possible) regulate these temps via aftermarket or DIY means.

I did try to search the board for this info, but 2.5 million posts is alot of sifting...

Any advice?

I've heard of rigs with large water/methanol tanks installed in the beds for this purpose, but the mechanics and process are somewhat vague...what the hell are they doing with that fluid? And how does it help regulate exhaust temps?

I am installing a new pyro tomorrow, but knowing my temps and doing something about them are two separate issues...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
water/meth.. or just water even, aftermarket turbo will sometimes help, aftermarket intercooler ..

the water meth is sprayed in a fine mist into the intake to cool EGTs but also provides some power increase (meth is a fuel) but you could run straight water to cool EGTs
Old 06-26-2011, 10:10 AM

Into the intake? through the combustion chamber?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

depending on the setup they may have multiple injection points
i would suggest searching thread here on specific questions or going to Snow Performance or AEM and also read what they say about their kits.. i dont currently have one, but have been considering it, but just running straight water
Old 06-26-2011, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

depending on the setup they may have multiple injection points
i would suggest searching thread here on specific questions or going to Snow Performance or AEM and also read what they say about their kits.. i dont currently have one, but have been considering it, but just running straight water
Old 06-30-2011, 02:29 PM

Took the Grunt down the turnpike for about 40 miles, round trip at a constant speed of 77 MPH to see what the EGTs would push with the new pyro installed (GLOWSHIFT GS-T708)...

Got an average of ~950F for the trip...supposedly within tolerances...any input?
Old 06-30-2011, 05:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Fuel makes power and heat. Improved air flow through the engine is a great way to reduce EGTs. Upgrade the exhaust, bigger turbo,but DON'T ditch the factory air cleaner unless you are making more that 500 HP. You won't find a better breather that cleans the air better. A diesel is not like a gasser and if your turbo can make the boost, it doesn't mind sucking past the factory air cleaner to do it. A cold air intake is more likely to ruin your turbo from dirt ingestion than increase your performance.
Old 06-30-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAM_RADIO_MAN View Post
Fuel makes power and heat. Improved air flow through the engine is a great way to reduce EGTs. Upgrade the exhaust, bigger turbo,but DON'T ditch the factory air cleaner unless you are making more that 500 HP. You won't find a better breather that cleans the air better. A diesel is not like a gasser and if your turbo can make the boost, it doesn't mind sucking past the factory air cleaner to do it. A cold air intake is more likely to ruin your turbo from dirt ingestion than increase your performance.
Are you saying my #s warrant these mods, or are you just suggesting them for preventative maintenance?
Old 06-30-2011, 05:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

No, just FYI. I think you numbers are fine. There are better experts than me on the subject. From what I understand the main reason to watch your EGTs is so you don't cook expensive parts like the turbo, valves, pistions. On a 6.0 cracked heads between the valves is a very real danger. On the flip side long idle times cause wet stacking from very cool combustion temps and can lead to a build up on your valves. When they hang open they get smashed. In that case you will consider yourself lucky that 6.0 have such thin and inexpensive push tubes. The Hi-idle mod is a must if you need to idle your truck much at all.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:06 PM

Gotchya...generally the only time my rig gets the idle is to cool down...got that tip from some other full-timers (most tug with 'strokes), and as far as I know, it's served me well...I've pulled my turbo apart a coupla times and found it to be in very good shape...xD

Thanks for the info, though...I value EVERY SINGLE OPINION!...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.