6.0 or 6.4 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 05:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 or 6.4

I've been reading several forums over the past week or so. A lot of you guys really seem to know your stuff when it comes to the PSD. I've had super duty's for the past 7 years, but never a diesel. I'm looking at two trucks right now, an 06 F350 with a 6.0 and an 08 F250 with the 6.4. I worked at a GM dealership as a mechanic( i know, i know) for about 4 years and I've heard a ton of horror stories about the 6.0. I know the EGR coolers are a big issue, which I would just install a delete kit to take care of that problem. Injectors are a problem with a lot of the new diesels it seems, but from my experience with the duramax a lot of the injector problems were from lack of maintenance, such as going too long between oil changes and not changing the fuel filters. I would use synthetic oil in it as well. I like the price of the 6.0 a lot more than the 08, and it only has 40,000 miles on it. It also sounds like the 6.0's can get a little better fuel milage with the right set up. Just wanted an opinion of some owners on what they thought. I drove the truck and love the power, just worried about the cost if i have one problem after another with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2011, 05:29 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
My opinion is the 6.0. If its significantly less than the 6.4 you can bulletproof the 6.0 as time permits. The 6.4 had its fair share of problems too. You could inherently have problems with either trucks, so it's all about your personal feel. Which truck did YOU personally like more? You said you loved the power, so go with your gut and pick the truck you think will give you a long lasting impression.

See if you can get an Oasis Report on both trucks. Whichever one is cleaner, go with that, but as I first stated, I would go with the 6.0. This coming from an owner that had almost 5k in engine work shortly after I bought it. AND I personally did all the work myself.

With all that said, it's a diesel. If something goes wrong, it's going to be expensive to fix it (as you probably know). But seeing that you have a mechanic background, the 6.0 is a little bit easier to work on then the 6.4. The money you save by doing all the maintenance, repairs that you can yourself, the better you'll feel about the truck.

Just my .02

Good luck and welcome to the org!

Last edited by mcflan; 06-26-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old 06-26-2011, 05:37 AM
Premium Member

It's been mentioned before but it's worth saying again. Before seriously considering purchasing the 6.0 it's a good idea to purchase a monitoring system like a CTS or the much less expensive Scangauge II. When setup, these devices will tell you the condition of the Oil cooler and the FICM. You can get the Scangauge for as low as $125. I have a 6.0 and I love it. You're on the right track as far as fixing some of the 6.0's problems but before deleting the EGR you really need to know the condition of the Oil Cooler by checking the temperature differences between the Engine Oil and the Engine Coolant and a monitoring system will do this for you. What are they asking for the '06 if I might ask?
Old 06-26-2011, 06:00 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Here is some reading material for you.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L
Old 06-26-2011, 06:13 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
6.4 Hands down......

I had a 7.3, then a 05 6.0, and now a 09 6.4... You could not give me my old trucks back comparitively speaking....

The 6.4 is so much nicer overall, from power to road feel...
Old 06-26-2011, 06:14 AM

I did like the way the 6.0 carried itself. I did plan on buying some type of tuner that would also moniter my systems. If I buy the 6.0 I would drive it for a month or so before tearing anything apart. I figure this would give me a little time to check all the systems over to see what might or might not need work. They are asking 22,000 for the 06.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taskforcefreddy View Post
It's been mentioned before but it's worth saying again. Before seriously considering purchasing the 6.0 it's a good idea to purchase a monitoring system like a CTS or the much less expensive Scangauge II. When setup, these devices will tell you the condition of the Oil cooler and the FICM. You can get the Scangauge for as low as $125. I have a 6.0 and I love it. You're on the right track as far as fixing some of the 6.0's problems but before deleting the EGR you really need to know the condition of the Oil Cooler by checking the temperature differences between the Engine Oil and the Engine Coolant and a monitoring system will do this for you. What are they asking for the '06 if I might ask?
Just curious where to get a scangauge 2 for $125. I am thinkng about getting one
Old 06-26-2011, 08:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
all the 6.0 horrors can be carried over to the 6.4 with the addition of a 6.4 doing 8-10 mpg while doing so, however both can be bullit proofed if you have the cash
Old 06-26-2011, 02:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro22 View Post
Just curious where to get a scangauge 2 for $125. I am thinkng about getting one
I saw them on Ebay one day for $125 and I posted a thread on here about it... was about 3 weeks ago. I went back and checked and they were at $169 again but another guy on here mentioned that if you call the company, you can talk them down to $125.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I personally like the 6.0 once you dump the emissions stuff. Subsequent engines are harder and more costly to do that with. The fuel dilution of the oil issue with the 6.4 is another biggie that you don't have with the 6.0. I like the looks of the 05-07 better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.