Oil Question (LOVE MY STROKER!) - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 07:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Question (LOVE MY STROKER!)

Hey,

I live in East Ky,

I just changed oil to Motorcraft oil and it seems my truck is running a little rough during start up

What oil should I run in my truck, (first oil changed) I used Motorcraft
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2011, 07:41 AM

Motocraft oil is designed for the strokes, not too sure why it would run rough after an oil change tho. A lot of guys on here use Shell Rotella T6 full synth, others like to use Amsoil. A full synthetic oil is always better than dino oil in every way, so try a full synthetic next time you change your oil. If you want to look into it more in detail check out bobistheoilguy.com and read, read, then read some more. Good luck.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Not to sound like Captain Obvious, but confirm your oil level. Truck should take 15 quarts. If low, I've seen them run rough if not even shutdown.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Will do,

Thanks Guys...
Old 06-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Forget the Motorcraft stuff and use a synthetic 5w40 like Rotella T6. Your injectors will thank you and you'll notice the improvement immediately.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

so it wont hurt just to "Up and Change oil?"

because I have less than a 1000 on this oil change but if it helps, I will dump it and replace asap...
Old 06-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You can change oils at any time between synthetic to non-synthetic and back as little or often as you want. Just make sure you swap out the oil filter with every oil change tho regardless of what you put in it or how many miles

But no, changing your oil today with only 1,000 miles on your current oil to a T6 synthetic in no way shape or form will cause any trouble with your motor.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
On the other hand it really won't hurt to wait until you have 4k or 5k on the current oil before you change over. Your engine will really benefit from the synthetic oil and you should change it every 5k or 6k miles with the synthetic unless you have your oil analysis done and they say it's ok to go further.

The price of an oil change compared to replacing injectors makes it a no brainer. I would also recommend Racor oil Filters. They make the filters for Motorcraft and you are paying a whole lot more for the red and white box when you buy Motorcraft.

This is a good source for filters.

Ford 6.0 Liter Turbo Diesel Truck Filters, Air Filters, Oil Filters, Transmission Filters And Glow Plugs - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks
Old 06-22-2011, 06:22 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidsniper View Post
You can change oils at any time between synthetic to non-synthetic and back as little or often as you want. Just make sure you swap out the oil filter with every oil change tho regardless of what you put in it or how many miles

But no, changing your oil today with only 1,000 miles on your current oil to a T6 synthetic in no way shape or form will cause any trouble with your motor.
Sweet! Someone else understands that! I have a Mustang that has seen a lot of NOS, and MANY 6200 RPM launches on slicks. Each spring it gets whatever oil I have laying around! I keep it the same grade but just about all my old whips get a 10/40. So this year she has dino and blend. My 64 gets a blend and my 60 gets a dino. Had 6 qts laying around, its in the Stang!

Oh and the motor has way over 100k on it... 100k HARD miles (would say about 1000 of them are in the burnout box) lol
Old 01-18-2012, 09:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Anyone ever use the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40
I use Mobil1 it in my race cars and like it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.