Should I make the trade?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I make the trade?!

So currently i own a 05 pontiac gto with 67k miles. I went to a dealer and they said they would give me 14k trade in. They have a 2004 PSD f-250 lariat crew cab short bed 4x4 with 149k miles. If i can work a deal i hope to walk out with the truck no money down. The truck needs new tires. If has a small lift and bigger tires i would say 35"? Ive been hesitant of the 6.0 especially from the dealer because you dont know what problems it has or have, It has a clean carfax. Do you think i should make a deal? i feel like its a gamble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 08:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It all depends on what you want, my friend. If you want a performance diesel truck, be prepared to put ARP head studs on it as well as new Head Gaskets, EGR delete, and oil cooler. It sounds intimidating but these are things that eventually go on all these trucks. Once you get those taken care of you will have a satisfying beast!
Old 06-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Dont Mess With Texas!

i would do it in a heartbeat, but thats 50% of me that would not drive a car if you paid me to and 50% of me that is a die hard ford guy
Old 06-21-2011, 09:09 AM

Is it a Ford dealer? Ask them for the Oasis report. If not go to a Ford dealer with the VIN and pull the Oasis report. That'll give you a good feel for problems / recalls / warranty work the truck has had previously.

Not knowing where you're from, given the stats you've said regarding the 04 250 4x4 with 149k, assuming it's not an FX4, that truck would go for around 16 - 18k around here mainly due to the mileage.

Before starting the truck, while the engine is cold, open the coolant cap on the degass (overflow) bottle and look for oil floating on the surface of the coolant, that could signify a head gasket problem. White smoke could signal either head gasket or EGR cooler problems.

Go to Autozone / Oreilly's / etc and pick up a Scangauge II ($200). While driving the truck on level ground at 65 mph the Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) and Engine Oil Temp (EOT) should read less than a 15* difference between the two (with the oil typically being higher). Only take this reading after the ECT has reached 190*.

I believe the Scangauge can also read FICM, if so the FICM Volts should read 48v at Key On Engine Off, while cranking and at idle. This can vary slightly but should never drop below 46 Volts. If it is then you'll need a new FICM module. I'm not 100% on whether the FICM Voltage can be read with the Scangauge tho.

The Scangauge can also read any engine codes you may have which can also help you make a descision of the health of the truck.

Overall the 6.0 is a great motor and most, if not all, of the problems are well known and easily fixed / bulletproofed / repaired all depending on what YOU are going to want to do with it and use it for.

Whichever route you decide, good luck and welcome to the org!!

There's a wealth of information on these forums regarding the 6.0 and reading this post will be a good starting off point for you.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L
Old 06-21-2011, 11:13 AM

I wouldnt IMO. Just because your LS car is a proven car already. If you buy a 6.0 be prepared to spend another 5 grand making it "bulletproof"

Plus 6.0's at dealer auctions go for nothing, in this economy a dealer doesnt want them cause they know they are ticking bombs and dont want to be held with the bag.

Oh, And I am a 6.0 owner.

I spend 40 grand for it off the lot and I had to make a special savings account just in case stuff goes wrong. Doesnt seem wise. Keep the car even though Im not a new edge GTO guy either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.