New truck... What to do? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 05:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Driveway "to-do" list. What'd I miss?

Alright so having been a long time lurker, poster and researcher and after 4 months of searching I've finally found "my" truck.

2006 F250 King Ranch FX4 with 101k on the odo. I had my Edge CTS in hand for the test drive so I was able to test temp deltas, voltages, etc prior to purchase. Overall the truck is in great shape except for that stupid Airaid CAI the previous owner had on it oh well.

Cruising at 65 on level ground (102 outside temp):
ECT - 198
EOT - 201 (fluctuate between 2 - 4 degrees off ECT)
ICP at idle - 589
FICM - KOEO 48v Cranking 48v Idle 47.5v - 48v

Luckily the truck was a one owner truck so there's pretty detailed records of it between oil changes and coolant flushes.

My to do list for this weekend:
Order coolant filter
Oil change (T6 synthetic) w/ Motorcraft filter
Fuel filters change w/ Motorcraft filters
Order BPD EGR Delete
Replace glow plugs (getting a glow plug 4 CEL and records show they were last done 42k miles ago)

Couple of things I want to do but don't have the info "at hand":
Front / Rear Dif and Transfer case fluid swap (recommendations?)
Tranny flush? No records of it ever being done.

Long term I'm planning on getting the ARP studs and full on bullet proof done but for the most part the above is my weekend warrior to do list. Anything I missed?

Last edited by Acidsniper; 06-28-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2011, 07:15 AM

I also noticed on the truck it has a Bully Dog EGT probe on it, is there any way to get this to work with the CTS? I'm doubting so since the probe is just a two wire lead instead of a plug like used on the CTS. Does anyone know if the Edge pyro will fit the same bung fitting?

The only things I could find to identify the EGT Probe is the sticker on the wire that had the following numbers:
015-082-060
W14455
Old 06-20-2011, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Truck sounds like it's in good shape. I'd flush the cooling system and swap to a Cat EC-1 rated ELC or Rotella's new Ultra ELC if you can find it.

For the trans go with the Mercon LV and have the dealer do it with their machine, it the only practical way to completely flush the old fluid out. Amsoil and Redline have alternatives if that interests you with the nod going to Redline's D6.

Amsoil is a good choice for the diff's and the transfer case, so does Mobil1.

Last edited by PGreenSVT; 06-20-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the info! From what I can gather the trannies have 2 filters (1 internal pan filter and 1 external) correct? I'm taking it the service at the dealership with the power flush includes both of those being replaced? I called my local dealership and they stated their "full tranny service" costs $185 does this sound about right? I forgot to clarify with them if that included the filters being replaced as well :/
Old 06-20-2011, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Generally they don't replace the filters. They don't drop the pan with their power flush. I was told it flushed any debris out of the internal filter and there was no need to change it. Their price for the little external filter is ridiculous. I'd get one from dieselfiltersonline and change it myself after you get it back.

That seems about the going price.
Old 06-20-2011, 02:26 PM

Excellent thanks. Those external filters are what a .5 qt capacity? Do they need to be prefilled or primed prior to installation?
Old 06-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Premium Member

No prime is necessary on the external filter.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:54 PM

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Honestly, I don't think paying $185 for a "power flush" is really worth it. How can you flush EVERYTHING without changing the filters? Doesn't make sense to me.

I'd advise another way if you want to save some money (and get the satisfaction of doing it yourself).

Buy 10qts Mercron LV from the dealer (~$6/qt)
Buy the FT-144 and FT-145 Motorcraft trans filters from Oreilly Auto (if you've got one close; they're $42 for BOTH) or DieselFiltersOnline.

Drain the pan
Remove pan bolts and drop pan
Pull out old internal filter (just pulls down)
Install new internal filter
Clean pan and reinstall
Remove housing for external filter (its like a 22mm)
Remove and replace external filter
Clean housing and reinstall

Fill your truck with approx 9qts of fluid. Let it run and check the level.

If you're really concerned about getting most/all of the fluid, drain the fluid again after say 1,000 miles and refill with another 9-10 qts.

If all Ford is doing for $185 is "flushing" and refilling the fluid, even if you have to buy 20qts of Mercron LV, you're only spending ~$120+tax. Then, for only ~$42 more, you're getting new filters, something you WON'T get with the Ford powerflush.

Just a thought; The trans service is so ridiculously easy on these trucks I wouldn't spend the extra $$ to have the stealership do anything with it!
Old 06-21-2011, 05:48 AM

Yeah that was my concern as well about the power flush as the old mentallity regarding tranny flushes was you always replace the filters or else the flush will just knock everything loose.

Thanks for the info Brian. That's the route I was thinking of going and it looks pretty simple. Do the trannies have a cork / paper / rubber pan gasket or is it a liquid gasket (i.e. PROSEAL)?

Regarding the fuel filters, I was checking on dieselfilters and it has the FD-4616 which appears to be 2 filters based on the picture. So I take it I only need to buy the one $48 filter set to replace both fuel filters correct?

Regarding the oil filters on dieselfilters, is there a difference between the FL2016 and the FL2016W?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:40 AM

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidsniper View Post
Yeah that was my concern as well about the power flush as the old mentallity regarding tranny flushes was you always replace the filters or else the flush will just knock everything loose.

Thanks for the info Brian. That's the route I was thinking of going and it looks pretty simple. Do the trannies have a cork / paper / rubber pan gasket or is it a liquid gasket (i.e. PROSEAL)?

Regarding the fuel filters, I was checking on dieselfilters and it has the FD-4616 which appears to be 2 filters based on the picture. So I take it I only need to buy the one $48 filter set to replace both fuel filters correct?

Regarding the oil filters on dieselfilters, is there a difference between the FL2016 and the FL2016W?
The pan gasket is a reusable rubber style.

Both fuel filtersm come in the kit.

Not sure on the filter difference but I always run the 2016.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.