Aligning the STC fitting - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-19-2011, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
smokersteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 4,272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Aligning the STC fitting

I just finished putting the truck alllll back together from replacing the STC fitting and some other modifications that are not related to the oil system.
It took ~1min to start, and it was not a real nasty start up. It took ~15 seconds once it got pressure, then the engine ran just fine once it did. I have a little y-pipe alignment leak but no biggy.

At the initial start I let the truck idle for ~2 min, turned it off, let it sit for ~15 seconds, re-start and it ran and started just fine, idle for ~2 min, reved it a few, then reved to red line, still good, I then turned it off.
I came back 5 min later to start it again and ti took ~10-15 seconds to start back up....

I did my best to align the updated one pice stc fitting:
Ford Part# 4C3Z-9B246-E
International Part# 1879930c91

But what I did was not good enough. I am guessing it is the fitting alignment and not the pump install....????
On the edge insight the inj pw at idle was normal (~1000psi +/-100), like it was before I worked on the truck.






What can I do to do a better job of aligning the STC fitting on the pump?


Thank you
smokersteve is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 06-19-2011, 07:27 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
Woodsracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Greenwood, IN
Posts: 226
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
I just finished putting the truck alllll back together from replacing the STC fitting and some other modifications that are not related to the oil system.
It took ~1min to start, and it was not a real nasty start up. It took ~15 seconds once it got pressure, then the engine ran just fine once it did. I have a little y-pipe alignment leak but no biggy.

At the initial start I let the truck idle for ~2 min, turned it off, let it sit for ~15 seconds, re-start and it ran and started just fine, idle for ~2 min, reved it a few, then reved to red line, still good, I then turned it off.
I came back 5 min later to start it again and ti took ~10-15 seconds to start back up....

I did my best to align the updated one pice stc fitting:
Ford Part# 4C3Z-9B246-E
International Part# 1879930c91

But what I did was not good enough. I am guessing it is the fitting alignment and not the pump install....????
On the edge insight the inj pw at idle was normal (~1000psi +/-100), like it was before I worked on the truck.






What can I do to do a better job of aligning the STC fitting on the pump?


Thank you

Interested in seeing what anyone has to offer you.. I am doing my cooler this upcoming weekend and just found out I have an 05 motor as well. How much of a bizzo was it to replace the STC fitting? How much was yours? Did you get it at ford or international??

2005 Excursion 4x4 PSD Eddie Bauer
Edge Evolution
Coolant Flush
Rotella T6
RevX
No Kitty
Wife's Grocery-getter
Blue Spring upgrade
New Cooler
EGR Delete
AEM Brute Force Intake
6.4 Banjo's
STC Fitting upgrade
Woodsracer is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 06-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
dleopard19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 283
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
is the truck not wanting to start after it gets warms or something? you probably have lots of air in the system and they say it could take up to 200 miles of driving to get all the air out of a system, what exactly is going on with the truck?

04 PSD SCT X3 extreme race tuned by innovative and looney tuned, straight pipe and dumped before rear tire, afe intake, smoke switch, air dogged out, zoodad mod, egr delete kit (finally), head studs, cfm intake elbow, bd boost fooler, installed new cab lights (didnt have em from factory) 285 bfg mt's, suncoast tq converter, she'll run a 13.4...soon to come a baby lol my mods stop here for now
dleopard19 is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 06-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
pizza pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,044
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
my bet would be air in the system too, drive it for a while and see if it persists
pizza pig is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 06-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 
06powerstroke06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,175
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
bet its air too. It wont start normal until a good 10 mile drive at times. just like when you replace injectors.


Want something like this ^^^ PM me
06 F-250 project "Overbudget" in progress. best of 12.4@107
05 6.0 Ranger (deranged) best of 11.0@124 fuel only
06powerstroke06 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 06-19-2011, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
smokersteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 4,272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsracer View Post
Interested in seeing what anyone has to offer you.. I am doing my cooler this upcoming weekend and just found out I have an 05 motor as well. How much of a bizzo was it to replace the STC fitting? How much was yours? Did you get it at ford or international??
$38 from an international dealership 30-40min from my house. I did some other modifications, but just the STC and now that I have done it once and much more familar on what to do, ~ a friday afternoon and a good long part of a saturday and sunday. Was it hard, no. a long process, yes. I think it is just time and making sure that the STC fiting is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dleopard19 View Post
is the truck not wanting to start after it gets warms or something? you probably have lots of air in the system and they say it could take up to 200 miles of driving to get all the air out of a system, what exactly is going on with the truck?
No it has nothing to do with warmth. I can start the truck for ~1min, off for a few seconds, then start just fine.

Then if i start the truck for ~1min, then off for ~5min, it will not start up as quickly. It will rev slow for a second or less, then jump to 1,000rpm, then back to a normal idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza pig View Post
my bet would be air in the system too, drive it for a while and see if it persists
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06powerstroke06 View Post
bet its air too. It wont start normal until a good 10 mile drive at times. just like when you replace injectors.
......That is reassuring! I hope so. I will drive it for this week and wait for a change.

Thank you!

Last edited by smokersteve; 06-19-2011 at 08:23 PM.
smokersteve is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 06-19-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
smokersteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 4,272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have it on High Idle right now. The initial start up this time was the same as the others, key on start ~2 secons, light/soft ignition 1-less than a second, then rev to 1,000rpm, then to normal idle. I will let it be on high idle for ~ 10 -15 min.

Last edited by smokersteve; 06-19-2011 at 08:39 PM.
smokersteve is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 06-21-2011, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Compression Ignition Addict
 
smokersteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: California
Posts: 4,272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
it starts allot better today. Its not totaly back to normal but much better.
smokersteve is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 06-21-2011, 09:26 AM
Powerstroke Techie

 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There is a TSB from ford about this issue. I assure you it is air in the system, if you screwed something up during the installation, you would know it right away, and as long as the 2 bolts through the stc to branch tube went in and seated all the way, then you are good to go. Anyway, the TSB basically states that after a high pressure oil system repair, it may be necessary to drive the truck pretty aggressively to get it all out, or let the truck just idle for about an hour or 2, that seems to do the trick as well. The TSB tells you to drive the truck at high rpm/boost as much as possible. I liked accelerating up hills to do it. You could floor it, but the uphill grade would keep you from driving too fast. 15 minutes or so of very aggressive, high load driving will fix you right up. Good luck and congrats on fixing the STC on your own.

5 Year Ford Certified Diesel Master Technician
Specializing in: 6.0, 6.4, 6.7, and 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel

Currently Employed as a Diesel Technician for the
Walt Disney World Resort in Orlando, FL.
Specializing in: Detroit/Cummins/International
DieselDano is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 06-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Serving Our Country!
 
diablos30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: goldsboro, north carolina
Posts: 4,073
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Thanks: 3
Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
diablos30 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome