Next big upgrade - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 12:04 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Next big upgrade

So I'm stuck on what I should do next. There are still so many things that I would love to do but I can only afford to do one right now. Unfortunately they are all really expensive things and I only have about 1500 to play with. So here are my options. Let me know what you would do if you were in my boat with the current mods listed in my sig.

1. Re-gear to either a 4.30 or 4.56(I was told this should give me back about 3-4mpg)

2. Powermax turbo

3. Amp research steps(these are gonna have to be semi soon since people keep complaining about having to climb into my truck, plus I'm short anyways so I wouldn't mind havin them)

4. Eventually a suncoast or BTS tranny rebuild but don't have the cash for that now.

So of the above 3, which would you go with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
try and find u some used AMP steps and jst re-gear the rear axle for now I jst got a powermax, installing today, but I cldnt live without my amp steps.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:53 PM
N.S.D.Q.

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
PowerMax or gears. Amps will come and go.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

The regear is kind of what I'm thinking. If it will get me 3-4 mpgs back plus take the stress off of other components, I think it will be a win win. I found a shop that will sell me a brand new set of amp steps with the integrTed led's for 1k out the door if I pay cash. I can't find any used set for a ford. All the ones I find are for Chevys
Old 06-19-2011, 07:19 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
re-gear it, i am seriously thinking of doing it to mine, cause it really sucks when pulling a trailer or a 4400 lb boat.

oh and this is a little off subject but how is your black onyx headgaskets/studs/SRL holding together?? i having this done at the dealer as we speak
Old 06-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
do you guys with amps ever find they dont always work? I dont have them on my truck but i know a few guys who do, they are awesome but they all seem to think the steps only work about 8 out of 10 times. Is it install error? Newer models fix that issue?
Old 06-19-2011, 10:35 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komatsu3816 View Post
re-gear it, i am seriously thinking of doing it to mine, cause it really sucks when pulling a trailer or a 4400 lb boat.

oh and this is a little off subject but how is your black onyx headgaskets/studs/SRL holding together?? i having this done at the dealer as we speak
Ya I had the same issue when pulling mine. I could have it floored and it would not downshift once I was on the freeway and needed it to..just felt gutless even with custom tunes..I think I'm prett set on 4.30s

As for the studs/gaskets..this is the second time around for me. I had black onyx gaskets from fdcp and bough a set of raps elsewhere. Needless to say I paid to have them put in and about 5k miles later my headgaskets blew..they tried to say the gaskets failed so I don't know if it was that or because the dealership didn't do them right. I just had them redone again, had 2 new heads, oem gaskets this time, and the studs put back in. I also went ahead and had them put the full bulletproof diesel kit on. I've got about 4-5k miles on it and no problems since(7k dollars later) If I do have anymore problems with this engine now I will yank it out and put a cummins in it.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:38 PM
Drivin the 6.mOney pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson41 View Post
do you guys with amps ever find they dont always work? I dont have them on my truck but i know a few guys who do, they are awesome but they all seem to think the steps only work about 8 out of 10 times. Is it install error? Newer models fix that issue?
I have never heard of that problems with the amps. I have however read about that problem with the kodiak sidewinders. It could be install. I know with the fords there are diodes that need to be installed inline but I'm not sure how the diodes effect them.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:48 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson41 View Post
I have the same problem, but I also have the older controller so Idk
Old 06-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Army, I can't for a minute believe you will get 3-4 mpg's back with a regear though it will help reduce stress on the drivetrain and tow better. I like the idea of 4.30's unless you are towing over 10k and then I would go to the 4.56's.

The AMP steps seem like a great mod for user friendliness. My truck is only 4.5" up on 35.5 Trail Grapplers and I wouldn't think about not having a step to get in with. Of course I'm an old fart and jumpin in really isn't an option for me anymore.

The Powermax would be nice but just being me I'd wait till I could add some sticks with it for best effect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.