Replacement Alternator.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 07:33 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Replacement Alternator..

Looks like my stock alternator might have crapped out on me. Wanted to see what is the best replacement to go with or just go back with a stock replacement.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 08:46 AM

These guys make the best alternators. Pricey, though.
DC Power Engineering
Old 06-19-2011, 09:53 PM

So today I went to Advance Auto to have them test my alternator. The guy told me where the truck has two batteries that he couldn't test it. So is there any way I can test it to see if it is working properly. Also I've been watching the voltage on my Edge Insight and its been reading between mid 12's to low 13's does this sound right or should it be higher.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2011, 03:23 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesco4 View Post
So today I went to Advance Auto to have them test my alternator. The guy told me where the truck has two batteries that he couldn't test it. So is there any way I can test it to see if it is working properly. Also I've been watching the voltage on my Edge Insight and its been reading between mid 12's to low 13's does this sound right or should it be higher.

Thanks
You need to check the amp draw of the alternator. Your gonna need a "Clamp on" DC multimeter to read amps.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:38 AM

Another thing you can do is take the alternator out and bring it to advance to have them test it. Thats what I did. Mine went, but it was an intermittent failure, bat light came on took alternator out to test it, tested fine, put back in light came back on, took out to test again and failed this time. Replaced with a reman, ugh wish I coulda replaced it with a new one.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I got one here, 140 amp large case for about $230:

High Output Alternator, 200-250-300-350 Amp Alternators, high output alternators, GM,Ford, Chrysler Dodge Alternators
Old 06-20-2011, 10:01 PM

Rockauto.com has them from $150 on up. Reman Motorcraft ones from about $220 or so. Your battery voltage should be around 14.5 with the truck running. You need to check the amperage also.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:57 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Take it apart and see what failed. I have a 3G on my Mustang and the regulator went out. $5 part!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:19 PM

Voltage regulator went out on mine this winter. I was able to test it just fine in the truck using a meter that has a clamp style for amps. I wish it was as easy as a mustang alt, but its not. Rebuild charge was way over $100.

My truck came with the smaller 110 or 115amp alternator. I bought the larger alt that FOrd puts in the dual alt setup. Its 135amp I believe. I put that in and was able to get 14.5volts at the batteries and easily getting all the amps I need.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPFD217 View Post
My truck came with the smaller 110 or 115amp alternator. I bought the larger alt that FOrd puts in the dual alt setup. Its 135amp I believe. I put that in and was able to get 14.5volts at the batteries and easily getting all the amps I need.
I debated doing that. The stock alternator on a one alt setup is a 110. The dual alternator setups have a 120 Amp lower and a 140 Amp upper alternator.

Wouldn't swapping from a 110 to a 140 Amp cause problems if your setup wasn't designed for it? I'm assuming you also installed a large gauge wire along with the alternator to handle the higher Amperage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.